How do you get this!?

joelhead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
6288_125029050995_112705190995_3448.jpg

this is a friend of mine and she gets these amazing old school tones and i want to know how do to it, i primarily use film but have digital as well and i would love to learn this technique!

photoshop. :)
or a PS action.
OR, she adjusts the levels to get that effect.
Try a layer of a yellow similar to that hue and adjust the opacity?

i have photoshop, any other ways?

just did kind of how would you do the yellow layer

just did kind of how would you do the yellow layer
what's with the bold, yo?:thumbdown:
there's a little window for just layers, it should have the picture you open up as "background".
There's some icons at the bottom of that window, scroll over and hover on each to find out which one says "new layer".
click it.
fill it with the color.
adjust the opacity.

Not quite correct Sbuxo. There is definitely yellow cast, but look at all the blacks. They aren't really black, but blue instead. Your best bet is to adjust your white balance slider then use levels to get the desired effect. Adding a yellow layer won't get it quite like the displayed picture though.

Not quite correct Sbuxo. There is definitely yellow cast, but look at all the blacks. They aren't really black, but blue instead. Your best bet is to adjust your white balance slider then use levels to get the desired effect. Adding a yellow layer won't get it quite like the displayed picture though.
i knew i wasn't correct, those were just suggestions to see if they'd work. that's why there's a ? there. :p

Set the blending mode of the color fill layer to "color" and it will play much nicer with the image.

Definitely a photoshop filter or tutorial for that - but I do not know it myself. Try googling things like "photoshop retro/vintage/old filter/tutorial". I'm sure you'll find what you need :)

Also, why don't you ask your friend :D

Try finding a PS action here:  ActionCentral

I am pretty sure you can find something.
One of the ways I am learning PS (might be a stupid way lol), is that I open up an image and record what I do to it and save it as an action. You never know when you will come up with an edit you would want to replicate later. Just mess around, include some research, and take in some advice from others and you will achieve the results you want :)

Also, like K8-90 said, ask your friend ;)

If you wanna shoot film, maybe you could shoot on Ektachrome and use a slight cooling filter in-camera, then scan the slides and refine the color a little bit. The plugged up shadow values in the sample photo would be replicated by many average to decent slide scanners that only have a 3.3 to 3.5 D-Max range. You could also squash the lower tonal values in post-processing after making a really good,clean scan with a higher-end scanner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back