How do you guys carry tripod? Advice needed please.

Vladyxa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have all my my gear in camera bag, Lowepro Fastpack 250 (backpack).
Unfortunately it does not have any straps to hold tripod, but I would like, on occasions, to take tripod with me to take those gorgeous dusk pictures.
Tripod:
- Manfrotto 055XPROB (aluminum) tripod
- Manfrotto MH055M0-Q2 ball head

Can you advise the best way to go biking and carry tripod in addition to the backpack?

Slung over my shoulder, or neck-and-shoulder, like a rifle.

My back pack has straps and a cradle. One of the reasons I bought it.

You can buy straps like Darryl mentioned, or just use the strap off an old gym bag like I did before.

My back pack has straps and a cradle. One of the reasons I bought it.

You can buy straps like Darryl mentioned, or just use the strap off an old gym bag like I did before.

I was looking for backpack with straps, but came across awesome deal on Lowepro Fastpack 250 at Best Buy, so I could not resist. )

If using just straps, and not bag, would it not keep bouncing on the back?

If using just straps, and not bag, would it not keep bouncing on the back?

I'd suggest strapping it to the bag if at all possible to eliminate this.

I've got an insulated, water tight hiking pack which holds my camera gear, tripod and a 2 liter hydration bladder.. not sure how it would effect you on a bike. I don't think it would be difficult, myself.

The pack has worked really well for me when I want to get out and find some interesting places.

I just carry it, usually with the first leg segment extended; it balances nicely on my shoulder and is the right hieght to put down if I need to.

I have a smallish CF tripod and I just stick one of it's legs through my ThinkTank Speed Belt. It hangs sort of like a night stick. I hang it on the back and it's so light I don't even really notice that it's there.

My large camera bag (a Tenba rolling-backpack bag) is designed to hold a tripod of almost any size -- though I never bring my large tripod anywhere that I'd be carrying it long distances (it's very heavy.) That's why I bought the small lightweight travel tripod.

I attach the camera to the head, and put it on my shoulder, camera high. Rifle-style, like Derrel. It's psychologically very hard to do, but in fact the camera is probably safer there than anywhere else you can carry it.

I attach the camera to the head, and put it on my shoulder, camera high. Rifle-style, like Derrel. It's psychologically very hard to do, but in fact the camera is probably safer there than anywhere else you can carry it.

I do this also. I normally wrap the strap around my wrist just to be sure.

pod-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back