What's new

How do you guys do it?

Live_free

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
599
Reaction score
7
Location
Washington
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have seen tons of pictures of just random people on the street. I don't think I could do this, do you ask to take there picture? Or just snap the shot? Because I would find it weird if someone just walked up and took a picture of me.
 
Live free-

I don't know how they do it tonight. I am going out tonight. I won't take my 7D with me, but my smaller one. I am going to see if I can click a few pictures. I do it with my cell phone all the time.. I call it going into "stealth" mode. I don't have anything pressing to do this weekend. I may give it a try.
 
thats what i've been wondering for a looooong time! so i read up on it. :P look like a tourist... shoot in places where lots of people shoot, don't look suspicious, and if people notice you taking photos of them, look friendly :P thats what i've learned from my reading... but i have yet to try it out. i'm sure a long lens would help too hahaha.
 
Live free-

I don't know how they do it tonight. I am going out tonight. I won't take my 7D with me, but my smaller one. I am going to see if I can click a few pictures. I do it with my cell phone all the time.. I call it going into "stealth" mode. I don't have anything pressing to do this weekend. I may give it a try.

See I see this even weirder than taking someones pic with a nice camera, for artistic purposes. If someone took a pic of me with their cell phone, I would be less inclined to view it as an artistic mode of expression, and more of an invasion of privacy.
 
I think she is covertly taking pics with the cell.... Using it's size to not get caught. Althought I would LOVE to see someone ask for permission to take someone else's picture with a cell phone. :lol:
 
lol guys.... well I live in a small town so there isn't much tourist but there is a lot of beautiful areas that I could shoot with people in them, so you see where the problem lies. lol
 
Live free-

I don't know how they do it tonight. I am going out tonight. I won't take my 7D with me, but my smaller one. I am going to see if I can click a few pictures. I do it with my cell phone all the time.. I call it going into "stealth" mode. I don't have anything pressing to do this weekend. I may give it a try.

See I see this even weirder than taking someones pic with a nice camera, for artistic purposes. If someone took a pic of me with their cell phone, I would be less inclined to view it as an artistic mode of expression, and more of an invasion of privacy.

agree, also i had the same problem a little while ago for my senior project, just look casual and if say a cop approaches you (this happened to me) just say its for a project or an article or just for your job (since you are a photographer) or source of income lol, this can go for anyone asking you
 
I think you just have to be bold and go for it. The bolder you are, the better photos you get in my opinion.

That said, I've always wondered, is is ok to take photos of random people on the street and then display them in an online personal gallery or a forum like this? Isn't it doing something illegal or something? Technically aren't they supposed to sign release forms or something or am I being a bit pedantic?
 
I think you just have to be bold and go for it. The bolder you are, the better photos you get in my opinion.

That said, I've always wondered, is is ok to take photos of random people on the street and then display them in an online personal gallery or a forum like this? Isn't it doing something illegal or something? Technically aren't they supposed to sign release forms or something or am I being a bit pedantic?

Depends on the country, some countries know "portrait" right, other's don't.
 
There was an interesting interview in the digital photographer magazine a couple of months ago. They interviewed a street photographer and he did a couple of things:

1. Cable release from camera into his pocket so he could shoot without people realizing it
2. iso 800 so he would capture even fast moving people without blur
3. basically stay in an area for 15-30 minutes before you start shooting, then just blend in, anticipate and shoot.
 
Being in a nice size group of photographers was a big help for me. I would also use my 70-200 to shoot people from a distance.
 
I recently read that in the US, if it's public property, you're free to shoot whatever you want.... so sidewalks and streets are fair game. I believe there have been court cases over this.
 
I recently read that in the US, if it's public property, you're free to shoot whatever you want.... so sidewalks and streets are fair game. I believe there have been court cases over this.

Careful with that though. Even though you have the right to shoot anywhere doesn't mean you won't be hassled by private security / ignorant law enforcement officers...
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom