How do you pack your camera bag?

LateModelSedan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a rebel xti with the kit lens and a 50mm lens and i have a small (but still bigger than i currently need) adorama slinger camera bag. i was just wondering what the best way to pack the bag would be? i have done some research online and haven't really found much. i always keep a lens on the body so i'm wondering if its best to pack the bag with the lens facing down to make it easier to grab the camera from the bag or should it be packed with the bottom of the body facing down for added protection of the lens? i'm guessing its gonna boil down to personal preference but i'm just curious to see what suggestions i can get. thanks.

I pack my bag lens toward the bottom. Havent had any issues yet. I use a tamrac adventure 6.

Most camera bags are padded pretty well. The only thing I would be concerned about, is what is on the bottom, because that may take some abuse if you drop the bag or set it down too hard.

Most camera bags are padded pretty well. The only thing I would be concerned about, is what is on the bottom, because that may take some abuse if you drop the bag or set it down too hard.
i was thinking the same thing. the bag has removable velcro padding in two different sizes so i took the two smaller pieces and placed them on the bottom to double up the shock resistance. most pictures i have seen of people's gear has been with the lens down as well but i wasnt sure if that was "the norm".

Big Mike, I have the other kind of bag, where the camera doesn`t hang upside down. Should I take off the lens? Or just put it in all together? It has all of those removable walls, I`m guessing just move them around and make a nest or something? But should the lens come off and pack it with out the lens for travel? And can it go through the x ray machine ok? Sorry if the question sounds stupid.

I would love to see some more opinions on this one...

My mom refuses to get me a camera bag. She got me a laptop bag. :(

I guess I take the lens(es) off and pack them in the bag with the body. They fit but I don't think it makes them any less fragile.

With the lens on the camera, I have the lens facing up.

I guess since my new lens is making my camera pretty long i have to put my camera down, as if its was sitting on a tripod. Not looking up. I guess it depend on what style camera bag you get.

i have the same bag and put the camera in body first, lens up.

when i put it in, lens down,, the back of the camera seems vulnerable to me. (don't ask.. vulnerable to what? cause i don't know :p)

I always remove the lens when packing mine. Don't know why, thinking about it maybe its just so I have the choice and not one already on.

I always used to put my old Rebel in as if putting it on a table top, however pictures I have seen advertising bags usually seem to show the camera going lens first into the bag and then the lcd screen being the first thing you see when opening the bag.
I have started using that last method but it seems unnatural to keep it that way..

I love the technology and advanced padding features and designs of the newer bags, but I still use two very old Domke canvas shoulder bags - at least for toting stuff to a site.

The larger one was given to me by a former military photographer, and it had been all over the world with him - even Antarctica! I only use it now if I'm carrying my entire kit - two bodies, three lenses, two flashes, a strobo bracket, and accompanying bric-a-brac.

In both bags, I use extra velcroed foam inserts, place the main body and lens in a side pocket with the lens facing the center of the bag. Lenses and flashes are in their separate bags, in separate pockets ... and all placed bottom down.

But, as a matter of working style, I NEVER have a bag on my shoulder, etc. when I'm shooting. My photographer's VEST is capable of carrying everything I need IMMEDIATELY when I'm moving and shooting.

I'm so hard on vests that I go through one about once a year.

I use Slingshot 300.

I always have 70-200 attached to 30D. Camera and lens go into back from left to right - camera on left, with lens (hood reversed) facing right. Lots of space in bag for 2 or 3 more lens plus accessories - am thinking one of those lens being something of the 400mm variety which I do not have. Only thing missing (imo) is a latch (something) to hold a monopod/tripod.

I feel this bag is perfect for me, BUT many do not like it because it is HUGE and my wife thinks "ugly". Touch one before you waste shipping costs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back