How do you save your images?

domromer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shoot everything at jpeg. I was told everytime you open and close a jpegs it degrades a litle bit more. How many times can you look at a jpeg before you start to notice it degrading?

Also do you save your files as Jpegs or tiffs. I've got a digital arts teacher who says we should save everything as tiffs. If I did that I would need three more hard drives. What are you guys doing?

Yes you are correct and for that reason it is best not to save as a JPEG. Rather save a master as a TIFF or other non compression format. If you need a JPEG for e-mailing or web, do a save as from your master.

opening and closing are different than saving something.

for example, you open a file , rotate it and then save the rotation, which is a change. At that time the file re-arranges itself and re-compresses itself which over time is degrading.

I use only raw files, change them to a TIff file if i am going to use it; and keep 4 copies of every file; the orginal and 3 back up copies. External Hard Drives are very cheap these days.

So If i'm just opening them in preview then nothing happens? I actually need to make a change and save it and they will be compressed again? Am i getting that right?

So If i'm just opening them in preview then nothing happens? I actually need to make a change and save it and they will be compressed again? Am i getting that right?
That's my understanding.

Yeah, it only compresses when you actually save it.

I don't think most people are going to save it enough times to see a change though (maybe I'm wrong, but I've never noticed any quality loss).

I keep all of my RAWs and process the ones I like into JPEGs. I used to use TIFFs, but like you said - I saw that it was going to use all of my disk space very fast.

I save all images which I will be using for sale as TIFFs. Other images get saved as JPGs. You never know when a customer is going to come in and ask if you can make a print larger than what you have for sale, and with the TIFF, you have a better chance.

I save all images which I will be using for sale as TIFFs. Other images get saved as JPGs. You never know when a customer is going to come in and ask if you can make a print larger than what you have for sale, and with the TIFF, you have a better chance.

How does a tiff allow you to print a larger image than a jpg? It's just an uncompressed version of the jpg. Still maintains the same dimensions.

maybe I'm missing something.

I shoot everything at jpeg. I was told everytime you open and close a jpegs it degrades a litle bit more. How many times can you look at a jpeg before you start to notice it degrading?

Also do you save your files as Jpegs or tiffs. I've got a digital arts teacher who says we should save everything as tiffs. If I did that I would need three more hard drives. What are you guys doing?

Only saving a jpg impacts quaility. And this is marginal. I would consider always making a copy of a jpeg to work on. Leaving your originals as is OR at least do a "save as" which would be the same thing.

Check out the thread on jpeg compression that was recently posted. Youll see the true effects of JPEG compression. I see no reason to ever save as a jpeg unless your emailing the photo to someone. Also why would you shoot in jpeg if RAW is an option, makes no sense.

You can get 300 to 500 GB hard drives for about $100 USD. I know money is tight for everyone but unfortnatly photography gets to be an expensive habit very quickly. I would strongly suggest saving up $100 and getting an external HD and stop shooting in JPEG.

Wow. Thats cheap. I haven't seem them locally for that cheap. I thought I was going to have to spend at least 250$. Could you give me a link for a reputable selller that has drives for that cheap. Thanks

and they are getting cheaper and cheaper everyday.

Most reactions

Back