How do You Shoot Concerts/Shows? (w/shots from my first show)

D3PO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last night I did my first hiphop show session, and I realized there are many unique challenges considering all the factors that come to play in a music performance.

One of the biggest challenges was trying to be inconspicuous while properly framing a shot. The set was at a small tattoo shop in Arizona, and it was very difficult to get up close and personal without distracting the artists and getting in-between the performer and the audience. The majority of the session was shot with a Sony 55mm f1.8 & 70-200 f4.

Any recommendations on how to get the shot without being a distraction?

Thanks for the C&C - here are some of the best I could manage with my skill set.

16405626234_70017798e8_b.jpg

17028056935_fefa95b7ab_o.jpg

16820635387_f63e723127_o.jpg

16844823700_419d56942b_o.jpg

16824954817_1ea77be0ba_o.jpg

Why do you think you need to be inconspicuous? Who besides yourself would even care?

Remember that you are capturing a fraction of a second in time. That is important, far more important that whether or not you are conspicuous ... Conspicuous is fleeting, the image is forever.

Why do you think you need to be inconspicuous? Who besides yourself would even care?

Great question. While shooting last night, one of the performers hesitated during the show thanks to my activity, and I could tell at times that I was distracting him while he should be focused on the show. I've known of much more famous artists stopping a show to unleash a tirade on photographers as well. I guess it boils down to me wanting to respect the artist while performing, while at the same time allowing me to do my thing.

That being said, I've noticed a common theme when discussing my photography and my desire to be lost in the background. Looks like I just need to buck up and not give a rat's tail whether my subjects take notice of me or not.

Thank you for your feedback and thought-provoking questions.

They don't want flash going off in their faces.

I once attended a concert and had my fast 50 on the camera. I went up to the stage and when I aimed my camera, the performer looked askance, but when he noticed that I was not using flash, he really opened up. The performance gained several notches of "better" after that, and I got some good shots.

Most reactions

Back