How do you tap into your creative side for a photo shoot?

Hey Rugged, nice Flickr.

I wish I was better at posing people, but is I stink at it. Looks like you do a pretty god job anyway Rugged.

single malt scotch

Enough cocaine to kill a small horse. Or a really, really big dog.

Oh, and a diet coke.
Please ...... Everyone knows that alcohol goes best with coke. lol

I often find that the best thing for me to do is nothing. I have what I think are good ideas after a few drinks, but after more than a few I'd rather do things other than mess around with a camera. One or two drinks to take the edge off or calm your nerves or whatever do help, but beyond that it's not beneficial.

What works best for me is to write ideas down when I have them, maybe draw a diagram to go with it too. Then go back to it later when I get home or whatever. I always have a pen and a small pad of paper on me. I usually don't even have to consult my notes - the act of writing it down helps you to remember it.

I haven't had a chance to do a model shoot, so I can't help you there. But for a sporting or theatre event I have Josh66's back on this and write ideas down. Do some prepwork, names of both the people involved and perhaps any heroes of the event, song lists, think of something that may "crystallize" the shoot for you, a certain scene or angle on a goal. It gives me ideas on how to relate to the people, break the ice, set the mood etc. That and a kick-arse playlist if allowed. (Vodka - it looks like water...LOL).

I start every model in the same pose and build on it.

For example:

1. Stand facing 45degs to the camera and turn you head towards me.
2. now lets try crossing your nearest leg over and twisting your waist towards me.
3. what about having your hands on your hips?
4. just tilt your head to the left for me
5. try tilting the other way
6. now stand facing me, square to the camera and pop your hip, etc., etc., etc.

Just slight variations on each pose until you start finding things that work. Don't forget to keep chatting though. Keep your model talking moving and making little jokes - even stupid "Dad" jokes to crack a smile - don't let them hold a smile that has long gone, you'll lose the eyes.

If you have trouble thinking of conversation think of a couple of "would you rather..." scenarios. They usually get a bit of a cheery look going!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back