Other photogs, when you see it, do you say something?

jeveretts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at the beach late in the day. I was trying to get some pics of flying Pelicans without much luck. A big family was there with a photographer taking pictures in all sorts of combinations and backdrops. The photographer obviously wasn't a pro, probably a family friend or something.
She was using a DSLR of some flavor, I was watching her work for a bit. I noticed she had the exact same walmart tripod as me.. then I saw it... She went to attach her camera to the tripod, and the base was already in the head. She was turning her camera around and around screwing on, while struggling with the thick neckstrap, this took her a good 4 or 5 minutes to get it on. I so bad wanted to show her how she could leave the base on the camera and snap it on and off much easier.
I also cringed when I saw her change lenses. She had the camera on the tripod, which was in very loose sand on a breezy beach, she took the lens off, and walked a good 30 yards to her bag, leaving her camera body open to the elements while retrieving another lens.

When you guys see this kind of stuff, do you make any attempt to help the person, or just let it be?
I was much to uncomfortable to say anything to her in front of her clients/family/friends. But man, she was struggling for no good reason.

If I see someone who is clearly have difficulty doing something and they're alone, I will usually go over to help, but if they're doing something that to me is 'wrong' but that they're clearly happy with and/or workiing with people, I'll leave them alone (and cringe).

Unless someone asks, I let them be and let them learn from their experience. I did, and it's gotten me pretty far.

If I am mentor to someone, then yes I would stop them and correct them and tell them I will be very upset if I see them do it that way again.

If I see someone holding the camera with their hand reversed on the lens, I will ask if they would like a simple tip to make it more comfortable and put less strain on their wrist. I've never had anyone that didn't appreciate the tip. I offer suggestions to people all the time, some appreciate them, and some don't. I rarely make suggestions to photographers that consider themselves professionals but lack the common sense or basic knowledge of how to do something correctly. They can learn from their mistakes. This usually applies to the obnoxious types that strut around pretending they know what they are doing.

I would take a picture of them doing it wrong, post it on an internet photography forum, and call it "lifestyle documentation".

No. Cause it's non'ya damn bidnezz. :lol:

Especially if she was getting paid for that session, there is NOTHING more embarrassing than having someone else come over and "tell you how to do it."

For all you know, she's a fabulous photographer, who just takes ****ty care of her gear and doesn't use tripods very often.

When people come over to tell me what I'm doing wrong during my shoots, I don't respond well. :lol:

Critique me all you want after, but not if you're a stranger WHILE I'm there with my client.

I never ever give any advise to other photogs if I meet them. I fully satisfy this urge by posting of TPF.

I get asked for advice at the zoo quite a bit, and if asked I'll offer whatever assistance I can, but if not asked I leave them alone and let them do their thing.

I wouldn't interfere unless someone is looking for help or asking for help. I think I can usually tell when someone just needs a helping hand, and I'm happy to help.

If I have a group, I pay attention to everything they do, to the best of my ability, and advise them as needed because that's what I do. If I'm solo, and i'm shooting or exploring, if I'm seeing what other shooters may be doing, then I'm distracted and I'm not doing what I do. Besides, I scare people if I approach.

No

but I've always wanted to sit down, start laughing like crazy, and point in their direction.

I just don't have the nerve for that.

I always talk to them if their willing to talk also. If not, I'm not worried about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I try to ignore the ones that try to me because it always end up in gear talk which is very boring.

I always talk to them if their willing to talk also. If not, I'm not worried about it.

Hmm.. you know, I just saw an episode of bar rescue the other night - I wonder if maybe I should invest in one of those portable air horn thingies and and every time I see another photographer doing it wrong come up behind them and give them a short blast.

Seems to work wonders for bartenders.. rotfl

Most reactions

Back