How do you transport and store your equipment?

I use a heavyweight messenger bag, body+lens in main compartment and two lenses in the outside bottle holder-type pockets. Ghetto....

Which bag or case you use really depends on how much gear you have, and how you want to carry it (shoulder bag or back pack type). Everyone likes different stuff. If you don't have a lot of gear, I'd get something that has some growing room in it, because you will be adding stuff over time. Here is the bag I use: Amazon.com: Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Camera Bag (Black): Electronics I bought it on Craig's List for half the price that Amazon sells it for. I got lucky. I saw another one on CL later, for $100. I still have some growing room in the bag, which is good, because I'd like a couple more lenses. Good luck!
-
Same bag above mentioned but Gray, holds two bodies and most lenses. For fun I always go back to the Domke J bag now they call it a F bag, basically a photojournalist bag.
F-2B BALLISTIC NYLON BAG/BLK
-
Seems like I always go back to this bag for quick shoots.
-
Shoot well, Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I currently use either the Tamrac Pro8 model 5608 shoulder bag if I am doing any work where I don't want to be overly casual (professional shooting like weddings, location portraits. )

or my Calumet BP1500 backpack. ( This is what I use most often ). The slingshot style bags are much more convenient, but that convenience typically comes at the sacrifice of space. I like to take all of my gear into the field with me and the BP1500 handles that. I carry a Gripped 7D, 70-200 2.8 IS, 60mm Macro, 17-40mm, 10-22mm, full set of extension tubes, a 1.4x teleconverter, a Canon 580ex II, a 400mm f/5.6. All hoods, collars, filters, batteries, and memory cards as well as odds and ends like a lens pen, lens cloth, flashlight/signal beacon/whistle, Cokin filter adapter, Double AA cartridge for battery grip, Dual Batt charger, Better Beamer etc. Plus I technically still have room to fit my backup T1i body without a grip.

I currently use the tamrac 5550 Adventure 10 Photo/Laptop Backpack. It's been great, however I'm expanding my gear now and am looking for something to hold a second body. I also rarely use the laptop part of it. I really like the looks of that Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Bag. I might have to buy one of those.

I use the Lowepro Sling Shot 302AW. Really like being able to get to my camera without having to take the bag off. I will probably looking in to a Pelican case to put all my gear in and then I can mix and match as required. Lowepro makes some great bags for sure though.

Fastpack 250 and a Cannon patriot series p22...

How my backpack looks all packed & ready to go:

CameraBagPacked.jpg

And no, Mittens & Chubby don't go with me!

How I pack it all:

CameraBagExploded2.jpg

(You can view the full-size image here.)

The list of what's packed:

1. White cloth for cleaning
2. Small eyedropper bottle w/ lens fluid
3. Ziplok baggie

4. Nikkor 70-300

5. 77mm B&W Thin CPL
6. Filter wrenches
7. Extension tube set
8. Nikon camera strap
9. 67mm filters
10. 77mm filters

11. SB-600 flash

12. ExpoDisc white balance filter
13. Charger for D7000 batteries
14. Delkin Devices SD hard-shell card vault w/8 16g cards
15. SB-600 stand
16. Manfrotto ‘pod plates

17. Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye
18. Petzl LED headlamp

19. Nikon D7000 w/MB-D11 grip and Nikkor 18-105

20. Pixel 3-pc RF/wired remote
21. Nikon hard-wire remote
22. Gossen Starlight incident/reflected/spot meter

23. Battery charger for D60
24. Spare batteries for D60

25. Nikkor 10-24
26. Petal hood for 10-24
27. Tokina 500

28. Nikon D60

29. Card reader
30. Spare AA batteries
31. Spare battery for Nikon IR remote
32. Retractable lens brush
33. Nikon IR remote
34. 2gig micro SD card

35. Robin Myers gray card
36. Stainless steel camping mirror
37. Lens cleaning kit
38. “Poor Man’s” monopod
39. J-hook for stabilizing tripod w/camera bag

40. ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro. I don't use any of the pockets on the outside of the flap because I'm usually carrying a tripod or monopod. Besides, if I need to open the pack to get out a camera, I want everything else to be just as available..... I don't want to start flipping the cover this way and that just to find something.

And no, I didn’t get the version that carries a laptop….. I have no need for a laptop in the field so I don’t carry it.

Am I happy with it? Yes. Is there something else that would serve me better? Most likely, but I can't afford to buy pack after pack after pack until I find nirvana.

Last edited:
I have a tamrac pack for around town shoots. For back country hiking / camping / mountaineering stuff I use my standard deuter bag and just put my camera gear in the top pouch. If I am doing something particularly dicey, I will put the camera in my bear cannister for added protection.

Got one of those lowe-pro backpack slingy thingies - the ones with one shoulder strap and a belt. Plenty of room for what I've got and room to grow too. Looking on ebay now at the tamrac packs - they look awesome! That'll be for next time. Plus got a cheap little case off ebay for smaller "jobs".
Dedicated shelf in the kitchen cupboard makes it all nice and neat.

I'm strongly considering a Think Tank bag - not sure which one - maybe a Think Tank Change-Up. Right now, I have a DSLR and extra 50mm lens, flash, accessories, etc. stuffed into a Mountainsmith Redura bag. The bag itself is good, and you could do worse than this, but it's not really made for cameras. This is, I suppose, both good and bad, as it doesn't really look like a camera bag either, and fits around the waist quite well along with being able to carry a bottle of water (as you might be able to guess, I'm on the go quite a bit, hiking and whatnot, and need that capability out of a bag, and need to keep the weight off my shoulders and back since I'm gone for eight hours at a time).

But I'm looking for something with more compartments, and something that I can extract a camera from a little easier than the Mountainsmith.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Since I started this, I picked up the Lowepro 350.

LMAO Sparky and Trever with your labeled layouts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back