anyone shot great video with just iphone? what accessories do you bring with you?

ph0toe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
more of a vlogging style. do you do everything handheld? use gimbal? use a tripod?
how were you able to make the video stand out when all the footages out there are using big dslr and other gear equipments of higher quality.

Would love a little more context to this question. Sounds like you're shooting for a vlog... depends on the subject matter, how much editing you plan to do, what your audience might be. I should a lot of video... occasionally, I use an iPhone... but not often because it's difficult to fit into my workflow. iPhones sometimes us variable frame rates even when they say they are at a specific frame rate... so it creates some issues sometimes. But if you're using it for a vlog, as opposed to delivering to a client to pass QC for broadcast.... less of an issue.

Can you provide more context? What are you shooting, what are you wanting to do with the footage and who is the audience?

Hi, Thanks for responding.

So, mostly would be shared amongst other friends/family. However, I don't mind sharing it on other social media platform if there's interest.

I went with a friend on a vacation last year and it was one of the best vacation ever. However, we didn't document it so we were only able to tell stories. This time I want to be able to document this entire trip /(good and the bad), but not make it seem amateur. I want to test my filmmaking skill by actually putting effort into the video and planning ahead of time while also enjoying the trip.

This is the reason I've decided against bring a bulky dslr.

Since we will be hopping from city to city and going on adventures such as hiking, underwater, and biking I want to be able to capture it from a pov and outside angle to make the audience feel like they were there to experience what we experienced.

I want to be able to capture b rolls of imporant landmarks for a particular city but put motion and personality into the vlog.
I want the audience to see what we are eating, the people we met, where we are staying (lodging) and the transportation to get there.

I think the problem is capturing a bunch of footage that will fill the story I am trying to convey, as well as make it interesting with just an iphone but I suppose I just need to be creative with it.,.

Sounds like a great trip, did you think about mounting a GoPro on your body and then you can use that footage as well as the footage from the iPhone cut together which might get you closer to what you’re after. Either way, enjoy it!!

Thanks! I have! I thought about getting a chest rig but that'll only give me a pov from the chest up. helmet doesnt really work. Stabilization seems pretty good but it'll be just like an iphone if handheld.

I would get a gimbal at least, they can be had for less than $100 for only phones. May want to consider some kind of weather protection for hiking, may rain on you and rain can make great story video.

Nothing is more irritating to me than shaky and fast panning video. The gimbal makes it watchable.

edit to fix url link.

Amazon product ASIN B0BRSB8KDM

Okay, yes, an iPhone will do you well for this and addresses your issues. I would say consider if you think people will be viewing this more on a screen (TV, Computer Monitor) or a phone (Twitter/X, Instagram, other social media platforms that primarily target phone screens even though they also do computers) and then decide on horizontal versus vertical for shooting - and stick with it. (Mixing becomes an issue.) Personally, I'd do horizontal (landscape) which means holding and mounting your phone sideways, but that's best for most screens, other than phones.

I agree with RIckbb, a gimbal for your iPhone is a must have. There are some good ones cheap. A Go-Pro is also a great idea, but if you want to keep it simple, yeah, an iPhone will do.

A note about iPhone. You can set it to be HD or 4K, at 24, 25, 30 or 60 fps. I'd personally do HD or 4K at 24, because it will reduce the file size and looks more "cinematic." That's personal preference. DO make sure you set that in your permanent "settings." You can set a shot to be that in iPhone but it will revert back to whatever the default is when you stop shooting and open it up again. You need to go into permanent camera settings and make sure it's what you want it to be for everything you will have a hard time cutting mixed frame rates.

That's my two-cents on the subject.

Hey thank you so much for the info.

What are your guys tip on making watchable pleasant long videos? I already got the story down ( itinerary). Now I have to play with the visuals. That would include close up shots of food, wide shots of landscapes, medium shot of popular landmarks, close up shot of people, sideway shot of action (like swimming, hiking, biking). How can I learn to become creative with my shots?

How does gimbal ensure that all my shots are smooth?

Will weather sealing case for iphone really help? I thought Iphone can take rain?

Next I have to think about is when should I start putting my camera down and doing a static vlog to go along with the story? Is it once in every new location? say I am preparing a hike, so should I introduce by setting the camera shot every time I enter into a new scene? what if I go to a new restraurant ? new venue?

How can I make my transitioning scene as seamless as possible?
How do I close up my vlog? airplane back home?

I don't necessary neeed it to be super professional and cinematic but it'd be nice to mix it up a bit and show some personality in the video and make it enjoyable so any tips/tricks would help a lot.

Also AUDIO. that is super important. Should I get wireless? what if I don't have wifi during the hike? a nav mic with muffin to block wind? How can I still ensure nature noise is still picked up like tires of a car, crickets, birds chirping around, sound of the waterfall?

If anyone has experience and can recommend additional accessories to go along the iphone/gimbal to ensure my video production is great i'd love to hear it.

up up and awayy

Hey thank you so much for the info.

What are your guys tip on making watchable pleasant long videos? I already got the story down ( itinerary). Now I have to play with the visuals. That would include close up shots of food, wide shots of landscapes, medium shot of popular landmarks, close up shot of people, sideway shot of action (like swimming, hiking, biking). How can I learn to become creative with my shots?

How does gimbal ensure that all my shots are smooth?

Will weather sealing case for iphone really help? I thought Iphone can take rain?

Next I have to think about is when should I start putting my camera down and doing a static vlog to go along with the story? Is it once in every new location? say I am preparing a hike, so should I introduce by setting the camera shot every time I enter into a new scene? what if I go to a new restraurant ? new venue?

How can I make my transitioning scene as seamless as possible?
How do I close up my vlog? airplane back home?

I don't necessary neeed it to be super professional and cinematic but it'd be nice to mix it up a bit and show some personality in the video and make it enjoyable so any tips/tricks would help a lot.

Also AUDIO. that is super important. Should I get wireless? what if I don't have wifi during the hike? a nav mic with muffin to block wind? How can I still ensure nature noise is still picked up like tires of a car, crickets, birds chirping around, sound of the waterfall?

If anyone has experience and can recommend additional accessories to go along the iphone/gimbal to ensure my video production is great i'd love to hear it.
Now you have begun asking questions that go beyond iPhone vlogging. To do what you want is just not an iPhone video thing, especially the external mic stuff. Do some test shots of what you think you will be doing, see if that's ok.

Also, you are now setting up a scenario that needs a good storyboard, script, etc. Not exactly from the hip vlogging action/travel stuff. Try just going with what you have, see what works.

The gimble will stabilize your videos, stops handshaking, sometimes if you zoom way out, you can actually see the video jump with your heartbeat. The gimble will eliminate all that. It will keep a face or whatever you designate in the center of the video and in focus, it will follow it as you and it move during the shot. Smooths it all out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back