How do ypu store your 4x5 negatives.

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Up until now my effort have been on restoring and learning to use an old 4x5 view camera. I have shot about a dozen B&W the photos, developed them in trays and post processed them with a scanner. My focus was on light leaks, figuring thing out upside down, remembering to pull the dark slide, checking the lens performance against the light meter reading. I have a half dozen object that I use as my standard measure.

Until know I have just stuffed the dozen or so negative into a large envelop, as I recall, 35mm negatives are sent back in a frosted sleeve, So I am wondering what is a good way to keep them.

Acetate sleeves kept in 4x5 film boxes....

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have multiple binders filled with 35mm negatives and slides stored in PrintFile pages...very durable...

I just looked - some of my 4X5 negatives, stored in Printfile pages are more than 25 years old and doing fine.

The worst I've use were the transparent Kenro ones the paper strip that's attached for fitting in a binder just parst after a short time, their glassine one were excellent.

All I can get now is Printfile in the sizes I need, I only shoot MF and LF.

Ian

I got a stack of Galssine sleeves a while back and have been slowly working through them. They are no longer recommended but I have pulled negatives out of 75 year old glassine sleves that have no issues. If you are buying new stuff PrintFile binder pages is the way to go, the rest of my negatives are stored that way.

IMG_2857.jpg

Some time back i had discussed this very issue because around 1998-2004ish time frame a bunch of Chinese made negative sleeves hit the market made with various poly compounds that actually destroyed the negatives.

someone will need to research that to get the specifics, but i point that out for several reasons.
The sleeves need to be stable and very obviously acid free.

Old style wax paper was used as was glass sheet. The kicker is to not only protect the negatives from dust but don't let them rub each other because the silver will destroy each other.
Keep them separated out.

Plus, get a sealed container with a descant pack of some kind. Humidity destroys negatives.

The old wax style paper of the past worked enormously well and I still have photos taken by my father from the early 1940's that were stored int hose and are still clean and fresh.

Most reactions

Back