What's new

how i use my filters

afoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
253
Reaction score
148
Location
Vancouver BC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
someone asked me a few weeks ago to put together a before and after of how i shoot my long exposures with my filters. so i thought it would be fun to post it here incase anyone is interested.
and as always i would love some c&c i really like how the green in the rock came out in the foreground, but i'm not sure if the overall composition is pleasing?


its a rock by abbye dahl, on Flickr


how to filters by abbye dahl, on Flickr
 
Your shots are an inspiration, as is your vision, Abbye. Thank you for sharing your technique. Something to emulate and to learn.
 
Very nice guide Abby. Thank's. Picture beautiful to !
 
a lot of work, time and investment, it shows.
 
Thanks for the filter info...what software do you use for filters? Only filters I ever used were plastic on my old film cameras!
 
Thanks for the filter info...what software do you use for filters? Only filters I ever used were plastic on my old film cameras!

hi charlie,

the filters are not a software thing, they are physical resin and glass filters. i use lee filter set, as well as a B+W 10 stop filter, and one sighn-ray filter

glad everyone else has enjoyed the post
 
Awesome post! So nice to see some real,old-fashioned lenswork is being done! Would LOVE to see additional posts you might contribute on say, use of 2- and 4-stop soft-edge and/or hard-edge grads, or whatever you come up with.:thumbup:
 
Would LOVE to see additional posts you might contribute on say, use of 2- and 4-stop soft-edge and/or hard-edge grads, or whatever you come up with.:thumbup:

hahahah well derrel, i would love to, if you would buy me some more filters.....
 
Two thumbs up. You nailed it. A good example of filters being used the right way.
 
OK, I admit I'm not a filter junkie. I have some old Cokin Filters that I used to use for my 35mm b/w photos. I just looked up the filters you are using. Holy crap ! I had no idea filters could cost more than some lenses ! I guess I won't be getting any of those unless I hit the lottery.
 
Very informative and inspiring! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup::D

By the way, does using the combination of soft edge+reverse grad produce the same result as using one hard edge filter? I already have soft-edge GNDs and currently deciding if I should go for the reverse grad or the hard-edge GND. Thanks! :wink:
 
Last edited:
By the way, does using the combination of soft edge+reverse grad produce the same result as using one hard edge filter? I already have soft-edge GNDs and currently deciding if I should go for the reverse grad or the hard-edge GND. Thanks! :wink:

not quite, a hard edge filter still is very dark at the top. in the case of sunsets, where the brightest part of the sky is the horizon, i find layering filters often causes the top of my sky to under expose to a nasty black vignette. the reverse filter gets quite light at the top, which allows the sky to stay properly exposed while still capturing the colours and lights on the horizon.

not really that useful unless your shooting sunsets however.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom