How important do you feel packaging is at your studio/business?

mdphoto21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im asking because where I work our business delivers prints in brown clasp envelopes from staples.

Staples® 10" x 13" Brown Kraft Clasp Envelopes, 12/Pack | Staples®

I cant stand it. It makes me cringe. We charge $200- $500 for packages and I want to upgrade but the owner feels that these will suffice. I dont think anyone spending the money they do deserves ugly envelopes for there pictures. She says it is not going to bring in more business but I disagree because I feel like if customers are purchaing a luxury product and they might be turned off by these. How would you feel if you purchased a prada bag and they threw it in an "I *heart* NY" plastic bag? I think nice envelopes from paper presentation would be a nice step up with a nice sticker sealing it up for 5x7's and 8x10's and then buy boxes for 11x14's & up.

Coco Top Open Envelope 5 1/2 x 7 1/2 - 25/Pk at PaperPresentation.com

Either way tell me what you think about packaging and tell me how you feel about my situation. thanks :p

Unless its wrapped for a gift packaging is intended to do one thing - get a product from A to B without suffering damage on the way. Provided that the prints are arriving at your clients in good condition and without problems or damage during postage (and that this damage is the result of improper packaging and not adverse weather/postage events), then I don't see any reason to advance your postage system to something more expensive - esp when most packaging will be whipped off in moments, dumped in the bin and forgotten.

Remember your packaging isn't advertising your product, its just delivering it to a client who has already paid - you don't need to advertise further to them.

Now if you are getting packaging problems and products are being damaged, then yes do look for stronger/better packaging setups

Im sorry i didnt specify. We dont deliver anything. Everything is picked up in the studio. We have a boutique style portrait studio.

Unless its wrapped for a gift packaging is intended to do one thing - get a product from A to B without suffering damage on the way. Provided that the prints are arriving at your clients in good condition and without problems or damage during postage (and that this damage is the result of improper packaging and not adverse weather/postage events), then I don't see any reason to advance your postage system to something more expensive - esp when most packaging will be whipped off in moments, dumped in the bin and forgotten.

Remember your packaging isn't advertising your product, its just delivering it to a client who has already paid - you don't need to advertise further to them.

Now if you are getting packaging problems and products are being damaged, then yes do look for stronger/better packaging setups

^^^agrees with this. the only thing my wife does advertising wise on the packaging is the business logo on the printed CD labels, and her business card inside the CD case.

Hmm still most shops I get services from by delivery in a package the packaging is still very basic; its a functional item rather than a display item. You might offer gift wrapping/packaging for special occasions and the like; that gives the client the choice if they wish to take their products home in a more decorative manner to give to another; however I can still see that a very basic and simple envelope is all that is needed.

I can see an argument for delivering things in good appearance, esp for higher class services; but go look at some high class shops; top hats are delivered in cheap, simple cardboard boxes - clothes too go in cheap plastic bags. Higher grade higher cost packaging is really only needed for gifts or if you are doing exceptionally well off that you can afford to invest more than the basic needs into packaging.

Professionally made photographs are a luxury item.

IMO, they should be priced and packaged as such.

I'm going to disagree that packaging does not advertise your product. A well put together gift box is comparatively low cost with a high perceived value. And the client is more likely to show off the packaging with the smaller photos to others. Shipping containers are a whole other can of worms as you have to sacrifice design for wear, tear and shipping requirements. But a person who has spent over $1000 on a larger canvas and also orders some matted 8x10's , I think, appreciates well thought out tasteful packaging and are more willing to share what they received with their friends.

Let's also not forget that there are two distinct types of packaging. Outer packaging, for mailing, transport, etc, which is fine as plain, kraft envelopes, paper, etc, and needs to be functional rather than fancy. Inner packaging which contains the actual prints/discs/products should be too to a much higher standard, and personalized for the client. For books and large print orders, a decorative box with custom label, for discs, high-quality printed labels and jewel-case inserts. For small print orders, heavy stationary-grade envelopes customized for the client.

In the grand scheme of things, all of these items are relatively inexpensive, but they make the client feel like you've taken some care and personal interest in him/her/them. That's a LOT more likely to generate return business than almost anything else.

When it comes to weddings & portrait type photography, anyone who's been in business for a good while will tell you that keeping your existing customers coming back, is just as (or more) important than attracting completely new customers. In that sense, there is something to be said about branding and doing what you can to give your customers that 'good feeling' long after they have made their purchase. If you only make them feel special before they pay you...but not after...they are less likely to come back.

By dressing up your products, you are telling people that you value the product and thus they will believe that it has more value to them. By going that extra mile to make it special, the clients will likely feel a little better about their purchase...which will hopefully lead them calling you, the next time they need a photographer. And hey, they still have your logo/information on a bag, fridge magnet, card, newsletter etc.

On the other hand, a penny saved is a penny earned...and there are certainly plenty of people who don't care if their product is delivered in a green garbage bag...but I'd bet that the type of people who spend a lot of money on photos, are the type of people who would appreciate nice packaging etc.

As mentioned, the cost isn't really very high...especially if you can buy in bulk. Is it really going to break the budget if you spend $10 on packaging for a $1000 order? If it does, then consider raising the prices to cover the cost of nice packaging.

When it comes to weddings & portrait type photography, anyone who's been in business for a good while will tell you that keeping your existing customers coming back, is just as (or more) important than attracting completely new customers.
It is important, because it costs many times more in advertising, promotion, and effort to attract a new customer, than it costs to get an existing customer to buy again.

I agree with big mike packaging does matter! I found that even my male clients love their photos delivered in a nice gift bag. I have custom ones with my logo made at marathon press. They are understated but classy. Nice packaging raises the perceived value of the product.

I definitely agree with branding everything that leaves your studio. Consider Starbucks, Victorias Secret, their packaging is down right a mobile advertisement. If you're going to brand yourself as a luxury, follow through with it to the very end. A well-finished, thought out final delivery can keep your clients excited about their photos to the very end. If I had the time and money all my portraits would be delivered by a flock of doves straight to the clients doorstep.

I disagree that once you've sold something to someone they cease being your customer, that is incredibly false. It is always easier to keep your great clients talking about you than to find new clients, and constantly focusing on new clients instead of old ones is a downfall to many a business. It's much more work to find new clients.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back