How Important is ...

It is nice to know that other people like what you're doing but that can only go so far. I am really critical of my photography and feel I am still very much a beginner. I have a lot to learn so criticism is also important if done constructively. Telling someone they suck is not helpful - it's just hurtful. Telling them how they could be better is an asset to their craft.

Do I need to be encouraged?
Interesting question - well first off its important to say that I certainly don't dislike it. Infact I can say confidently that I enjoy compliments and encouragement from others.

As for if its needed - well there are 2 cases:

1) getting no encouragement at all - well if people were indifferent to what I did - ie they cared no less - then I doubt it would directly affect me. I shoot for myself and I can take pleasure in both the act of shooting and also in seeing the end result oh the computer (and when I can work this darped printing out on prints!)

2) getting negative encouragement - ie being discouraged. Well its certainly not nice and not something that I like to get (note I am talking about discouragement NOT constructive crit). Were it to be all I got from people with regard to my work would it stop me?
Well now I think that would depend on far too much to give an overall answer to since its far to big a variety - I mean what sort of discouragement are we talking about? Blatant hatred for my work, jealousy, the words of the ill informed, the words of peers, the words of mentors in life (not just photography).
Honestly there are groups that could (I think) stop a person being able to enjoy a hobby such as photography - even if they do just shoot for themselves. The group that I think could stop a person I would say is a mentor - be it a person, a photographer, a close friend -- the rejection of someone we hold dear or in a position of respect can have a profound effect upon ones overconfidence no matter how hard a shell you weave around yourself the inner core is still going to be soft.
It might not stop some but it might take away an aspect of the fun - and if the person who gives the discouragement is held high enough in the mind of the photographer and they give a harsh enough comment then yes I think it can stop a person. Maybe not forever, but for a time at least

What is also interesting is that compliments alone are also not enough either - the words of strangers are nice, but (especially on impersonal forums) its easy to get lost of (what can feel) empty praise - encouragement with no heart behind it and sometimes just blind compliments.

In the end to say if we need compliments or if we do not is not enough since the source and also nature of those compliments is also a key factor in understanding. However its also clear that sharing what we shoot (even if we just shoot for ourselves) is something that many of us also share and with that what is said about our work is going to impact us on some level

Interesting views on this subject. I'm starting to wonder if those who feel as strongly about the importance of critique, both giving and recieving, are as weak and needy as they accuse others of being, maybe even more so. Just a thought, but wow, some of the responses- Like some sort of strangoid defense mindset. I've had several critiques by professionals--photographers I have immense respect for. From my experience, you don't need more than a couple. It's far more valuable to develop your own judgement. If you want to learn, get a book and sit down and learn. Develop some discipline. This thread contains a near perfect example of what kind of person may be picking nits at your photos. You'll never please them. Their encouragement is superficial, a downward, never-ending spiral.

Anyway, I think encouragement is much more positive and productive. I believe that it is just as important to be able to discern empty praise from social compliments and that from solid encouragement. I don't just mean on the internet either. Encouragement comes in many other forms. Maybe in the form of references for a job well done, sales of photos for publication, a round of applause after a talk, a prize in a contest, and even, yes, even from those who love you. There ain't nothing wrong with that. As long as it makes you happy. Identify and know your audience. Develop vision and style.

Finally; there are some extremely good photographers on this site. Find them and study their work. For the most part, they say relatively little, so when you read something they've written, pay attention. That's about the best you can get online.

Funny thing brother. I see the same thing over and over, the people making comments that dont post anything. I know a few photographers that are not on the forums, and they are convinced that these forums are good for a learning tool for a while.
I recently had a photographer look at my work. He was a journalist/photographer who works in Kenya, and was visiting Canada. He was actually a guest of the guy who rents space in our unit. He was brought to see me at lunch, as they were having a conversation about my stuff. (I had sold some photos to the guy who rents the space for cash) Anyways...we had a great chat, and I asked him to critique my work. I was blown away by some of the tips. One of the tips he said..."shoot how you feel, and what you see, and dont listen to others. Make yourself happy first" He also asked for a few copies that he could take back to Kenya. ( I work in a graphics company, so I just blew off a few on the colour copier at work) That was an honour for me.
I have found recently, that the best critique for me are non photographers who have purchased my stuff. My photo made somebody reach out and actually want it for themself. Since there are millions of photographers out there...pro, amateur...or whatever label they want to paste on their forhead...somebody took the time to look at my photo and pic it over others. That made me feel good. To me it is silent critique and encouragement to carry on. :D

...somebody took the time to look at my photo and pic it over others. That made me feel good. To me it is silent critique and encouragement to carry on. :D
That's a mouthful bro.

Congrats BTW and well deserved.

Honest and high quality CC is one thing... encouragement (as discussed) is another.

One is a learning tool that can aid the person that is receptive to it, the other will not have the same impact on the improvement side... however, some people need a little encouragement, some cannot survive without it... and there is nothing wrong with either side. What works for one human being may or may not work for another, and it is partly this diversity that makes us unique.

Does encouragement make you feel good? Yes, I suppose it does. Is it a needed ingredient for the photographer? That depends on the individual, doesn't it?

Chiller, Kundalini, Craig, Invisible, LaFoto and at least one other, sort of ...

Your recognition of the value of encouragement is encouraging. :)

No doubt! We can sit here and spew our photo knowledge until we are blue in the face. We can be little every photograph to make our selves feel stronger. Fact of the matter is the real critic is unbiased toward others photos. The real critic will express his thoughts and more importantly ENCOURAGE the receiver to dig deeper or try harder. You are kidding yourself if you do not need encouragement. No one would be posting on this forum if they did not get encouragement at some point in their photo journey.

Jah Love

)'(

there are some extremely good photographers on this site. Find them and study their work. For the most part, they say relatively little, so when you read something they've written, pay attention. That's about the best you can get online.

Remembering, of course, that our opinion of what is a good photograph and who is a good photographer changes as our knowledge increases and we mature in our views ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back