how is this image captured?

The photographer is shooting out of a vehicle moving at the same speed as the Nissan. That way, the car is essentially motionless in the frame but the road is moving by quite quickly.

I'm pretty much a rookie at photography, but it looks like the camera was in another car traveling at the same speed, therefore a slower shutter speed can be used to get the motion blur in the background.

the photographer was in a car going the same speed as the 350Z, he/she stopped the lens down to require a slower shutterspeed, the photog just framed the car, and shot at whatever was needed while keeping the car in the same spot in their frame. It's a beutiful shot, well executed. VR lenses work great for this becuase they compensate (to an extent) for road vibrations.

EDIT: GAH! I got beaten to the punch...twice!!!

I see, will 1/20 do it or slower? I want to try this shot as soon as the weather clears up, cruise both cars at the same speed and focus the car with a slow shutter speed. i'll give this a try and post results later on. thanks guys.

I think that if the photogrpaher was in a moving car the traffic light in the background should be blurred. The subject (the car) and the photographer were probably both still and the blur was added in post-processing with Photoshop or other software but I might be wrong. The answers above are the 'traditionnal' way to do it though.

I think that if the photogrpaher was in a moving car the traffic light in the background should be blurred. The subject (the car) and the photographer were probably both still and the blur was added in post-processing with Photoshop or other software but I might be wrong. The answers above are the 'traditionnal' way to do it though.

+1 it looks like photoshop to me, look at the road behind the car, the traffic light and the railing is not blurred at all.

work of PHOTOSHOP i feel....you cant take a photo with "selectivel" motion blury between two sharp planes.....mechanical/physically impossible.....
----------------------------
lense with two focus points?

but ppl taught me that if you want to caputure this kinda image....what you do is you select a slower shutter...and move your camera with the object that you are trying to catch....thus producing in focus object with blur background.....i'm also a newbie....only know about the physics

I see, will 1/20 do it or slower? I want to try this shot as soon as the weather clears up, cruise both cars at the same speed and focus the car with a slow shutter speed. i'll give this a try and post results later on. thanks guys.

I'd shoot much faster than 1/20. It all depends on how fast the cars are going but I'd start at, say, 1/125 or 1/250, maybe down to 1/60 if the cars are slow moving.

I respectfully disagree. :) Since the road is slightly curved the light and the railing behind the car will be moving away from the frame and they are further away. Both these factors minimize the blur.

Also, look at the red crane through the fence on the left side. It is still lburred but to lesser extent due the the distance away from the frame.

I respectfully disagree. :) Since the road is slightly curved the light and the railing behind the car will be moving away from the frame and they are further away. Both these factors minimize the blur.

Also, look at the red crane through the fence on the left side. It is still lburred but to lesser extent due the the distance away from the frame.

But if the reason the traffic light is sharp is because it is in the same place but moving away you would have a hotter or denser green light in the middle of it and you don't. Looks like post production to me.

The drastic difference between the barrier in front of the car vs behind puts my vote in the post production camp for this image.

But if the reason the traffic light is sharp is because it is in the same place but moving away you would have a hotter or denser green light in the middle of it and you don't. Looks like post production to me.

I think I'd agree with TBaraki here. You're right in what you say about the intensity of the green....but in an exposure of around 1/125 of a sec how much would a green traffic light that's only around 8inches across decrease?
I'd say hardly anything and since the bridge is curve, as previously stated, that area is moving directly away from the camera and therefore would hardly move at all relative to the camera in 1/125.

I was about to say we may be proved wrong when the photographer comes along, but since the initial poster was asking about the image, I'd assume it wasn't his/her image. Given that assumption, I'm suprised no moderators have removed it, since displaying other photographer's images is against the rules.......or have i missed something and made myself look very silly???
:blushing:

I think I'd agree with TBaraki here. You're right in what you say about the intensity of the green....but in an exposure of around 1/125 of a sec how much would a green traffic light that's only around 8inches across decrease?
I'd say hardly anything and since the bridge is curve, as previously stated, that area is moving directly away from the camera and therefore would hardly move at all relative to the camera in 1/125.

I was about to say we may be proved wrong when the photographer comes along, but since the initial poster was asking about the image, I'd assume it wasn't his/her image. Given that assumption, I'm suprised no moderators have removed it, since displaying other photographer's images is against the rules.......or have i missed something and made myself look very silly???
:blushing:

The ambient light from the traffic light showed up at whatever shutter speed therefore if it was moving away but staying in the same place you would see extra density in the middle because that ambient light would be constant where as the outside would not because of the traffic light housing. Post production.

also look at the wheel........the wheel is in such good focus....it is impossible for such a fast spinning wheel to be in sharp focus (you can see one arm of the rim) while the side of the bridge being blur......the wheel is moving a lot fast then the bridge for sure no matter how you take the shot....simple physics

Most reactions

Back