How long do lenses typically last?

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What steps can I take to ensure that my lenses reach their full potential lifespan?
How should I store my lenses when not in use for long periods of time?
On average, with TLC, how long should I expect my lenses to last?
Lastly, what's a common issue most people have with their lenses and how can I prevent said issue from happening?

Thanks guys!
I am definitely learning a lot here!

A lifetime? I'd expect a newer lens to last forever.

Most common? Damage I'm guessing. Dropping, scratching, etc.

If they get dirty, clean them.

If they get wet, clean them.

If notice anything out of the ordinary, send it in for inspection/repair.

I have a photo backpack I put all my dormant lenses in. Inside this pack I also have a gym sock full of Exquisicat unscented Kitty Litter.

Why kitty litter? Because it's great at absorbing moisture and a lifetime supply (for this purpose) is about $12. Humidity should be avoided. Replace the kitty litter every 6 monts or so. OR if you want, toss the sock in the oven at 150 for a few hours to dry it out. I would also avoiding storing them in cases that can absorb moisture such as leather or cardboard. My backpack is vinyl with poly fill, so no real danger of holding on to moisture.

Temperture fluxuations and extremes should be avoided. I put my backpack on an inside wall n the closet of my bedroom. If I'm comfortable, my lenses are comfortable.

This practice is likely overkill. I'm a paranoid person by nature... but on the other side of that coin, I'm also thrifty and lenses are money.

Good lenses can last forever. I have a pro level 180mm 2.8 that looks like it has literally been through a war, and it's still solid and makes great images. Even in its present condition it will last forever if I take care of it.

Cheap lenses last until you drop them. Once. From 10 inches. Onto high pile carpet. And break apart. Costing me $100 for a new 50mm1.8.

I'm worried about the built in focus motor to die. I've read that about some models.

I agree that with proper care a lens will last the rest of your life.

Store lenses in a dry, cool place and to fight lens fungus let sunlight shine through the lens every 2 moths or so.
Any camera gear storage bag, case, backpack etc should always have reusable silica gel desiccant packs in the bag/case/yada, yada, yada.
40 Gram Silica Gel Desiccant, 5-Pack - Dry-Packs - Fits Pelican Cases!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If your thousand something lens lasts you 10 years with regular use, i personally think that is good enough and it will probably last longer if you take good care of it.

New lens approximately 10 years for Nikon. AF-D and before that's almost perpetual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I do my absolute best to never drop my lens. I even have a failsafe in the event that my strap would tear or somehow magically fall apart to keep my camera from dropping.

Store lenses in a dry, cool place and to fight lens fungus let sunlight shine through the lens every 2 moths or so.
Any camera gear storage bag, case, backpack etc should always have reusable silica gel desiccant packs in the bag/case/yada, yada, yada.

Very useful! I'll have to do some more research on these Gel Desiccant packs! Thanks!

How long do you let sunlight shine through? And is it direct sunlight pointing at the sun, im assuming no since that can damage the lens/sensor.

Well, officially, if its Nikon lenses - 10 years. Its even written on the lenses themselves. Its the "10" surrounded by two arrows at the bottom of the lens (bottom as in the bottom of the lens if you have it mounted and look at the bottom of your camera. Not the mount). Thats how long Nikon thinks the electronic contacts in the lens will last.

Of course, if you have Zeiss and Leica glas - that might literally still be around and working in 200 years, unless it developed fungus etc.

Well, I have two lenses from 1987 that still work fine. ;) With electronic lenses Canon stops servicing their lenses 10yrs after the lens is discontinued, so if you have a Canon AF lens and the AF or aperture quite working 10yrs after they quit making it. . . . you're screwed. :lol:

How long do you let sunlight shine through? And is it direct sunlight pointing at the sun, im assuming no since that can damage the lens/sensor.
You don't put the lens on a camera.
Just remove both end caps and let light into the lens, The lens does not need to be pointed at the sun. The sunlight kills any fungus trying to get established in the lens.

Lot's of people make photos that have the sun in the photo without damaging the image sensor in their camera, but you would not want to make a long exposure that way.

I have some AF-d lenses very useable after more than 25 years. Some of my MF lenses are well past 40 years old and still working fine.

As said above, proper care in storage and handling will help longevity of your lenses.

Maybe to further elaborate why I say it last for 10 years. The new generation of lenses is powered by electronics. That means soldering electrical components, by using tin, to circuit boards are necessary. In about 10 years time a phenomena called 'Tin Whiskering' may occur. Metallic fibers will appear around soldered areas and these will cause electrical short-circuits and component failures. This MIGHT happen to all electrical gadgets and at the same time NOT all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new lens will not last a life time because of the electronics parts becoming obsolete the only lenses that will last a life time are manual focus lenses

Most reactions

New Topics

Back