How Long Do You Keep Your Raws?

I delete my RAWS as soon as I grow tired of looking at them. I always convert to JPG once I do my batch RAW processing, and save those.

They take up way too much space and I suck anyway, so no real keepers yet.

oooof. :lol:

Dude. If you're doing this, you're almost wasting your time shooting raw. Batch processing just means you're making the computer do what the camera would do if it took a jpeg, and in my experience the camera generally does a much better job.

PLUS... I can't tell you how many times I go back to old images years later and find a few gems that I just corrected poorly the first time. Since I have the RAWs, I always have a second chance to get it right.

This shouldn't really be a conversation about whether to USE RAWs or JPEGs... but if you don't see the value yet, then you're not far along enough to bother, and I seriously wouldn't bother. Wait till you realize that RAWs are good and use them.

This also shouldn't be a conversation on HOW to use RAWs, but trust me... you're going about it alllll wrong here.

If you are worried about space try this -

Newegg.com - Seagate FreeAgent Desk ST320005FDA2E1-RK 2TB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

There is really no need to ever lose old work, it helps show you were you came from. Especially something like this 2tb drive, you won't be filling it up anytime soon.

Ummm....that would hold about 100,000 of my RAW files....:shock:

I may be showing some age here, but I remember my first real computer having a 40MB HD...that wouldn't even hold TWO pictures with the OS loaded....And that was top-o-the line back then.

I may be showing some age here, but I remember my first real computer having a 40MB HD...that wouldn't even hold TWO pictures with the OS loaded....And that was top-o-the line back then.

Youngster - my first real computer had two 5 1/4 floppies. I spent a fortune to buy two 10MB hard drives for it. :)

I keep my RAWs forever, and more than that, I use Adobe Bridge to import my photos converting the RAWs to DNG while it does so and saving them on a separate hard drive so I have NEF on one drive and DNG on another, both backed up to two more drives and online.

As other people have said, I will occasionally go back to a RAW months later and edit it differently.

I delete my RAWS as soon as I grow tired of looking at them. I always convert to JPG once I do my batch RAW processing, and save those.

They take up way too much space and I suck anyway, so no real keepers yet.

Who says Polaroid is Dead. This is the digital version of Polaroid. A second rate print and no negative to work with. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you are worried about space try this -

Newegg.com - Seagate FreeAgent Desk ST320005FDA2E1-RK 2TB 7200 RPM USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

There is really no need to ever lose old work, it helps show you were you came from. Especially something like this 2tb drive, you won't be filling it up anytime soon.

Ummm....that would hold about 100,000 of my RAW files....:shock:

I know what you mean. My first PC was a 286 and it had a 10MB drive. I eventually got crazy and installed a second drive for an unheard of 20MB of storage.

Crazy how far things have come.

My first computer was the commodore 64 I know those who remember it will say that was for games, but I was programming on that little sucker when I was a kid.. my first "real" computer was an Amiga :D

I have a C64 in my basment. My friend and I collected various Apple ][s, Amigas, Atari STs, etc. I also have a SGI Indigo... but that's kinda a different class of box. :)

My first PC was an Apple *** (yes, a three) with a single 5.25" floppy.

Who says Polaroid is Dead.
It is dead... the last ones were sold two/three days ago at some convention, along with the last film for it.

It is dead... the last ones were sold two/three days ago at some convention, along with the last film for it.

But maybe not for long. The Impossible Project

With storage so cheap, I'm surprised how many people are still backing up to dvd... I've had too many failed cd/dvds and I don't trust 'em. Plus, eventually dvds will probably be replaced with something smaller and better.

I backup to a couple quality external hard drives. I also have a wireless hard drive that I can connect through FTP.

But maybe not for long. The Impossible Project

With storage so cheap, I'm surprised how many people are still backing up to dvd... I've had too many failed cd/dvds and I don't trust 'em. Plus, eventually dvds will probably be replaced with something smaller and better.

I backup to a couple quality external hard drives. I also have a wireless hard drive that I can connect through FTP.
In the last, oh, 25 (with about 16 of those with burnable CD's/DVD's) years of computing I've never had one failed CD or DVD out of God only knows how many thousands. I've destroyed them by leaving them in the sun, rolling over them with my chair, but I've never burned something to DVD, confirmed it was there on another computer (part of my workflow) then put it away only to find later it had gone bad. It simply doesn't happen if you have quality drives/discs.

Hard drives, I've had so many fail I've lost count.

So I find it funny anyone would trust anything to a hard drive over something like DVD.

Hard drives, I've had so many fail I've lost count.

So I find it funny anyone would trust anything to a hard drive over something like DVD.

Go figure, because I've never had a failed hard drive but I have used quality dvds, that have still failed without any reason.

I have had ONE CD fail so far. It was one of those cheapies. I still have tons of cheapies... some 15+ years old that are ok. My current philosophy is I'll occasionally re-burn them to newer more dense media and keep the older ones. That way over time I'll have fewer primary copies and lots of extra backups. :)

I do buy the "good" DVDs, however, for archival. About $1.50 a disc IIRC in bulk. Not cheap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back