How many did you do?

its not really a question that can help you really. some people can pick something up and are just magic with a camera and there are some that can take pictures for years and never improve. the only thing that matters is wether you are ready or not.

some people will have a rude comment or an attitude because most don't like it when someone comes on and says ive been using my camera for 6 months and im ready to open shop and go pro. its kind of a slap in the face to those that have worked for years perfecting there craft to have people crawl out of the woodwork and go hey i just got a camera and im good enough to be in business.

some people will have a rude comment or an attitude because most don't like it when someone comes on and says ive been using my camera for 6 months and im ready to open shop and go pro. its kind of a slap in the face to those that have worked for years perfecting there craft to have people crawl out of the woodwork and go hey i just got a camera and im good enough to be in business.

I never said I was ready to open up shop and go pro. I think I even said "I don't think I'm ready yet" I understand what you are saying though. I even said I have a lot to learn about the business side of things... that's why I'm here.

So what do you suggest?? Should I spend the hundreds of dollars applying for an LLC and insurance, just to practice for free??

Question! What happens if you are out on a "free" shoot... and someone gets hurt? Or if someone decides to sue for whatever reason (and yes.. it does happen!). If you don't have insurance... and hopefully an LLC.... you are TOAST!

And I AM trying to be helpful....

The courts are not always "fair"! Even if you don't present yourself as a "professional", if a person can make a reasonable claim that they assumed you were, they can sue you and win! (really.. it does happen!)

Last edited:
if your start charging money for photos most would consider you a pro. and you were asking how long before people start charging. if you learn to read what people are saying and not take things personally, you can learn allot here. just know people here won't hold back, they will tell you like it is. some nicer then others. most responces are based off of how the question is asked, if you say ive been shooting for 6 months and want to know when people can charge (or something similar to that effect) your going to get the type of answers you got.

yes you spend lots of money to start a business - its risky but thats how businesses are done. its not a lemonade stand. you jump into a pool of professionals who have done it the right way, of course you're going to be greeted this way.

and there are prices on your gallery page.

I don't see flash in any of your shots.. another "Natural Light" photographer, right? :)

Stephanie Moore Photography | Children

I think you need to "do" a lot more before you start charging, even at the supremely low prices you have listed on your website. I won't critique your shots.. you didn't ask for that, but you really should! ;)

From the looks of your website you are already in business. If I were you I would immediately go here and start reading up on what my responsibilities would be. Oklahoma Tax Commission

To answer some of your questions, I never did any free sessions. I did have my family to practice on, asked friends and friends of my kids to sit so I could practice. I did make sure before I did outside the family stuff that I had insurance.

I knew from what I was creating when I was ready to start charging and take it on as a money making effort. Before I even charged my first customer I filed for business status as a sole proprietor and got seperate insurance to cover everything (converting to an LLC shortly). I provide a "Certificate of Insurance" for every site regularly I go to, even though many don't require it. Why? Because when little Johnny slips and hits his mouth on the big colorful plastic slide guess who everyone will be looking at to pay for those two front teeth? COVERED !!
It does not take much for one person to slip/trip/stumble or fall while you are taking portraits, then you need to be protected. Even the best of friends will sue you, because their insurance is looking for a way not to pay. How long can your business survive if you knock your camera off the counter and it's costs too much to repair? Insurance can provide for it.

Starting up a business is serious stuff and takes some money and courage at the beginning to get going. There's much more to it than being able to take what friends tell you are great pictures. It's the stranger that's willing to part with cash that will make or break you.

Last edited:
How do you "practice" or build a portfolio then? I wouldn't feel right charging for things.

Practice for free all you want. I am dead serious about getting insurance, regardless of what you are or are not charging. If something happens on a shoot YOU will be the one responsible, both financially and legally. "But I'm not charging' is not a legal defense.

If you were driving on the road and got slammed into by another car, and had medical bills and the car was ruined...would you give the other driver a pass if you found out it was a 'student driver' and had zero insurance? Of course not. Same thing with your business model.

stephaniemoore said:
I am really disgusted by some of the comments here. I came here for help and trying to learn and some of you guys are just plain rude. I thought this was supposed to be a community where we help each other not put each other down. I have read several threads from others looking for help and I read the same rudeness as I see here.

For one, this is not my "christmas camera" I have had it for several years and know how to use it thank you very much. And I have done my share working with another photographer shooting weddings of all things. I have just recently started to do individual portraits for families. Maybe I should have stated that in the first place but I'm sure there would still be some bullies out there. Like I said I'm not ready to jump into it yet. I need more practice I know that. I was just wondering how long it took others to make that jump. Just curious really.

Thanks to those who did say something helpful.

Be ready for this in the business world, in any case good in your venture. In regarding the payment if they insist on paying for your pictures, start up a business account and the monies in there to build your business as well as your portfolio. Another idea would be to donate the proceeds to charity, great exposure and possible future clients and for a good cause.

If you were driving on the road and got slammed into by another car, and had medical bills and the car was ruined...would you give the other driver a pass if you found out it was a 'student driver' and had zero insurance? Of course not. Same thing with your business model.

But taking that analogy further, would you ever run a car driving lesson company whilst still wearing the L plates on your car?

In my view if you want to run a business its got to be a business, you don't start that by practising and giving it all away free first because the work you put into building a user base is going to be the sort of person after a free shoot. Furthermore any passing on about you or your services will be carrying that info along as well.
Cut you teeth and get your experience without the company side. You don't need a business to arrange free shoots or practice things like lighting (heck get some large dolls - set them up on chairs and you've got an infinity patient subject to practice lighting setups with). Do lessons - consider inturnships/apprenticing etc..

Then once you've got that focus on launching the company .

I am really disgusted by some of the comments here. I came here for help and trying to learn and some of you guys are just plain rude. I thought this was supposed to be a community where we help each other not put each other down. I have read several threads from others looking for help and I read the same rudeness as I see here.

For one, this is not my "christmas camera" I have had it for several years and know how to use it thank you very much. And I have done my share working with another photographer shooting weddings of all things. I have just recently started to do individual portraits for families. Maybe I should have stated that in the first place but I'm sure there would still be some bullies out there. Like I said I'm not ready to jump into it yet. I need more practice I know that. I was just wondering how long it took others to make that jump. Just curious really.

Thanks to those who did say something helpful.

Wah. "Weddings of all things"? Lol. Come on. Why can't you just go around taking pics of your friends' kids without being all "I'm a photography business!"?

I don't see flash in any of your shots.. another "Natural Light" photographer, right? :)

Stephanie Moore Photography | Children

I think you need to "do" a lot more before you start charging, even at the supremely low prices you have listed on your website. I won't critique your shots.. you didn't ask for that, but you really should! ;)

Seriously? That looks like "point the camera in the direction someone may be in and pray for a good exposure"...

Everything about your website says you are in business. You need to be registered and get insurance ASAP. Especially before you do your Bunnies and Babies campaign. Live animals + Children + no insurance = TROUBLE. The Rabbit Ranch's insurance does not cover you. Opening a photography business is like any other business venture. If you don't have the money, you get a bank loan or ask family for a loan. There are no short cuts. Shame on you for not looking out for yourself, your family and your clients.

I commented on your other thread a while back regarding the naked baby girl wrapped in the sheer black fabric. To see it on your website is really REALLY nauseating and unprofessional! Do her parents know you have her genitals up for the world to see? :sick: maybe learn how to drive a crop? Or show some discretion?

if you have hosting, you should have a real email, not gmail. it would look better. my opinion.

Most reactions

Back