Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I have several

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • I do not have any and do not want any

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I do not have any and contemplate getting one

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of getting a tattoo - just some simple line art - and I was wondering who here has some?

How many?
What are they of and why?
Which hurt the most?
Do you regret any of them?

Yup, I have 2. One is a tribal Mauri fishook design (that I designed myself) and had done when I was 21 on my left tricep, the other is a Japanese dragon I had done when I was 30 on my right arm from the top of my tricep to a couple of inches above my elbow. The Mauri fishook is pretty straightforward and represents my love of fishing which I have been doing for 20 odd years. The dragon is related martial arts which was another big part of my life that I'd been doing since I was 11. It also serves as a remider, as dragons often symbolise wisdom, a quality that I don't always posess. Plus dragons are cool.

The dragon hurt the most as it has scales and shading, so the tattoo artist that did it went over it twice and that got a bit nippy. But neither were dramatically painful.

Do I regret them? No. I spent a long time thinking of what I was going to get done and I chose stuff that means something to me.

Damn , I messed up the poll. The last option is supposed to say "I do not have any but contemplate getting one"

Dad was a WWII Navy veteran and could go shirtless from a distance you couldn't tell. Each tattoo had a cool story about the port of call where it was done. It was the legacy of his travels around the globe. I understand that but to adorn one's self with artwork simply 'cause it's trendy escapes me. So even though I am a "biker" (hate that term) I have no artwork.

I appreciate good art and have many associates who have some I love the Asian characters that may or may not mean what the owner thinks it says.

no joke, I'm getting a consultation at Zap A Tat soon to have mine removed.

Tried to tell you that a guy getting a "tramp stamp" was a BAD idea.

mine's worse -- it's tribal.

You go to Jersey one time and look what happens.

Serious: I have a friend who has had one for 10 years and I once asked if he ever thought of removing it. He was puzzled like "Why would I remove it?"

I've got mad respect for him.

Last edited:
I have an Eagle on my arm above the short sleeve line. I got it while in the Marines, NC. I want to get more but it's like a lot of things, never get around to it. Additionally, I have not found a place I like yet. Most people that do it around here are not really that good at it, they're scratchers. I am real picky about that whole business.

Here is a link to consider. I would study it prior to getting it done.

What To Look For When Choosing Your Tattoo Studio

Thanks for the link and info. The divide between tattoos and the military is very interesting. People in the service either have several (generally pertaining to their service in some way) or refuse to get any.

My dad's family is mostly military but they treat tattoos like the mark of the demon. :/

I do think I've found a pretty reputable place in my area if I decide to get one. It seems legit and they have a few artists that do good black work. San Diego's Premier Tattoo Studio and Art Collective

Last edited:
I'd be outta the chair as soon as I saw the needle.

I wonder if someone gets one done when they're relatively young, are they thinking about how it will look later on? I would not today want any of the hairstyles or clothing that I wore in my 20's - no clogs, no cruel shoes, no school bus yellow fish nets, no bell bottoms (well Ok maybe some flares but not in red and white stripes w/stars).

I did. I was 16 when I received my first two, 27 when I got my third, and 40ish when I got my last two. Someone made that comment the other day when they saw my new ones. I don't really care what other people will think of them. I like them and that's all that matters. And if they go all wrinkly, well, then so be it.

5 The first one I got was 35 years ago with my college roommates. I don't regret it at all, even though it's faded it still reminds of them. The last one I got was 3 years ago when my parents past away. I thinking of adding one of my Snowy photos into a new tat

I have 1 small tattoo which I got 20 years ago. It's a heart made of vines and flowers, about the size of a quarter, on my right hip. Hurt like hell - the best description I can give is that it was like I imagine having a lit cigarette held to your skin would feel. I don't regret getting it but I'm also glad that it's somewhere that is not for all to see. And yes @vintagesnaps, I did think about how it would look when I got older and that did affect what and where.

I have an Eagle on my arm above the short sleeve line. I got it while in the Marines, NC. I want to get more but it's like a lot of things, never get around to it. Additionally, I have not found a place I like yet. Most people that do it around here are not really that good at it, they're scratchers. I am real picky about that whole business.

Here is a link to consider. I would study it prior to getting it done.

What To Look For When Choosing Your Tattoo Studio

Thanks for the link and info. The divide between tattoos and the military is very interesting. People in the service either have several (generally pertaining to their service in some way) or refuse to get any.

My dad's family is mostly military but they treat tattoos like the mark of the demon. :/

I do think I've found a pretty reputable place in my area if I decide to get one. It seems legit and they have a few artists that do good black work. San Diego's Premier Tattoo Studio and Art Collective
Some of the best tattoo artists are near military bases which is a huge market for them or at least when I was in. Now you see them everywhere which concerns me. Most I have been in fail on several points in article. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How many? 2
What are they of? A mushroom, and a pair of lips smoking a joint.
and why? Because I used to be a LOT more fun that I am in this phase of my life.
Which hurt the most? Cant remember.
Do you regret any of them? Nope! They are small and easily hidden. Life is too short to regret decisions made. Live, learn, and move on! I have considered getting more, but I am too busy spending money on other things to justify the cost.

I have 6.
2 dreamcatchers,2 phoenix',a pegasus and a traditional heart/banner(it's 35 years old so it's the real deal as far as traditional goes) with mine and my wifes name and my kids' names added as the years went by.
I got them because it just seemed like a good idea every time.
One of them is a cover up of a leopards head which looked like ****. That was the only one I regret but it's gone now.
I honestly don't think they hurt as much as just being irritating for a few hours at a time.
I offer absolutely no advice on whether to get one or not as it's a completely personal decision.

Oh,and each one reminds me of a specific time in my life, so I guess I don't regret having any of them.

Based on a rubber stamp I made. The Inuktitut script is "Nanuq" (polar bear).
I got this at a local shop in February 2014
Only regret is I probably should have reversed the bear's direction.
No pain, no burning. There was itching afterwards, but was told it's normal.

5 The first one I got was 35 years ago with my college roommates. I don't regret it at all, even though it's faded it still reminds of them. The last one I got was 3 years ago when my parents past away. I thinking of adding one of my Snowy photos into a new tat

I thought of you when I was getting my owl and wondering if you had a snowy owl tattoo. If you do it, I'd love to see pictures.

No pain, no burning. There was itching afterwards, but was told it's normal.

Mine are itching now. It's horrible. But it's better than it was.

Most reactions

Back