How many photos do you usually take?

frommrstomommy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For any given portrait session lets say, 1 hour long, how many photos would you say you take on average? How many are usually keepers? If you need to break this down more specifically to answer, go ahead.. I'm just curious!

The last two couples sessions I did lasted roughly 1 hour.. and I am pretty sure I took EXACTLY 130 each time. lol It was pretty creepy when I looked at the count honestly! 20-25 images made the cut.

So you're running about 15-20% keep, I'd say that's really good.

My last photoshoot, I took around 150 and kept 10. I tend to have a higher "keeper" percentage when I shoot film - frames are limited and it slows me down (in a good way) quite a bit!

It really depends on what I'm shooting; fashion/model in-studio runs around 100 - 120 frames/hour, family portraiture on location typically about 60-70 frames an hour. I strive for, and am happy with 15% of the images making the cut for the proofing gallery.

I seldom shoot people, but when I do... I might do 50-60 in a hour shoot (non-studio / non-professional model)... and keep 20-25.. but the customer would probably only get 7 to 10 that I pick out.

Slow down.. think about what you are doing... pose them better.. adjust the lighting... etc..

you will get more keepers, and better ones at that. Averaging a shot every 30 seconds or so? Slow down! That is one of the things I hate about digital... shoot, shoot, shoot... the more the better. CRAP! Slow down!

This is a good question. I really had no idea how many I had taken over the last several shoots. But I went back and counted the pics and figured the time based on the first and the last file - so no initial prep or breakdown time included.

1. 1.5 hrs, 307 pics
2. 45 mins, 334 pics
3. 3 hrs, 316 pics

These numbers really surprised me since the number of pics taken is roughly the same but the times are vastly different - one is half of another and the other is half again. Interesting.

Both #1 and #2 were small children so these numbers are skewed a bit. I regularly have them jump and dance around as I snap away and get them laughing with their hair swirling all around.
#3 was a model and involved several changes of clothes and some set changes.

I will take maybe 100 in an hour portrait session. I would probably keep 30 or so. I am a lightning culler. It is either a keep or delete.

I will take maybe 100 in an hour portrait session. I would probably keep 30 or so. I am a lightning culler. It is either a keep or delete.

I am jealous of your cull skills! I have to go through twice, sometimes three times. I really need to work on having less duplicates, sure that would help!

...Slow down.. think about what you are doing... pose them better.. adjust the lighting... etc..
I think the style of shooting plays into it a lot as well, for instance when I'm doing a model's portfolio shoot, I'll have them in a moving pose rather than a static one; that is, I will say something like: "I want you to look over there, and then slowly do <whatever> and finish looking over there." I'll quite often do 3-5 frame bursts as the model is moving her head or whatever. I'f I'm doing strictly static work, headshots, etc, then as few as 20-30/hour.

...Slow down.. think about what you are doing... pose them better.. adjust the lighting... etc..
I think the style of shooting plays into it a lot as well, for instance when I'm doing a model's portfolio shoot, I'll have them in a moving pose rather than a static one; that is, I will say something like: "I want you to look over there, and then slowly do <whatever> and finish looking over there." I'll quite often do 3-5 frame bursts as the model is moving her head or whatever. I'f I'm doing strictly static work, headshots, etc, then as few as 20-30/hour.

That is why I posted non-studio / non professional model... (or basically somewhat static shots). A Professional model seldom holds still.. movement and grace is part of the skillset, and capturing that does require more shots...

That is why I posted non-studio / non professional model... (or basically somewhat static shots). A Professional model seldom holds still.. movement and grace is part of the skillset, and capturing that does require more shots...
Ohhhhhhhhhhh... I'm supposed to read the whole post? :shock:

:greenpbl:

I am jealous of your cull skills! I have to go through twice, sometimes three times. I really need to work on having less duplicates, sure that would help!
I try to rely on my first instinct.

I don't worry about it, I tell the client I will shoot until we are both happy with the results. If I don't think I have what I want in an hour I let the client know that they aren't being charged any additional fees if we shoot longer. I've never really counted the pictures, but the last shoot I did I probably shot a couple hundred and kept half that.

I recently shot a big pr event for my company. Shot about 600 pics. Ended up using about 15.

Course that was event coverage so you don't have the chance to pose and you get one shot at them breaking the champagne bottle so you spray and pray.

Some of my session stats:

2 hours, 75 shots total, 6 went to print packages (family of 5).

1.5 hours, 93 shots total, 4 went to print packages (mother and child).

15 minutes, 37 shots total, 6 went to print packages (female model portfolio).

20 minutes and 14 shots total of assistant to set up lighting in a hotel room, then 30 seconds with the actual client, 1 shot and 1 to print (corporate head shot).

5 hours at an event, 69 portrait shots of the guests, and 57 went to print.

So, I guess I'm all over the place on this.

Most reactions

Back