How many photos on average do you take at a wedding?

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just had a conversation with someone about photos. Hes a wedding photographer , and said he takes around 3000 photos per wedding. just wondering how many everyone else takes on average?

Err... I think on my last shoot I took 2000. Wee bit trigger happy there! They got around 300 completely edited images on disc though. (This was my cousin's wedding, on average I would prefer to actually provide more)

If im shooting with a second shooter along, its entirely possible to get 2700-3000 , with an asistant, about 2300 in an 8 hour event depending on if he shoots a little too.

I pick out the 300 - 400 - 600 whatever best ones (depending on which package they buy) and only edit them for proofs,
but I have the janky ones of aunt carol sneezing in case they wanted it, I just dont flag it as a pick in lightroom.

I just took a 2400 shot wedding down to 700 shots that are all processed and ready to go, took about 10 hours, it sucked, but you find ways to be more efficient, (lightroom (hint hint. ))

If I am alone and I shoot more then 1600 in 8 hours, then I know im machine gunning a little too much. But thats just me, some people just shoot more shots. theres no right and no wrong. also If your manning 2 cameras it changes things too.

bout 600 taken 100 shown to the bride and groom

I don't do weddings anymore, but 3000 does not sound way out of line for digital. (Though at that rate your shutter will fail in 50-100 weddings) When I shot film at weddings, 30-36 36 exposure rolls were not unheard of. A friend until very recently shot Blads in 220 film and would shoot 18 - 24 rolls. A lot for medium format but he did a lot of PJ style extra shooting. Digital makes it easier and cheaper, so frame rates go up substantially.

I think it depends on the gear you use. If you use a slower body you might not take as many images as some of the eople who say thry shoot 3000+ images alot of wich might be multiple fast shots of the same scene. To me with an average body, shooting 1-2 shots of most scenes set-up or not 300-500 images is a good range for your average wedding.

I just finished processing my last wedding. Between my assistant and myself we took 2025 shots. It was a full 12 hour day. I started at 10 a.m. with the bride and bridesmaids getting their hair done and ended at 10 p.m. when the couple left in the limo.

I've only done a few weddings, one as a backup, but I say I average around 800 shots and I usually whittle it down to around half that if I know them(friends) or 200 if they're a regular client.

Gads! 3000+/-?
Think of the editing!
I shoot about 300 editing down to 80 that I present. I find that if they get any more than that they have so much trouble choosing that the process becomes onerous. More is not better.
Having a zillion candids from the reception is just a waste of time and batteries. Very few reception shots are ever purchased. Focus your energy and talents where the money is but provide some fun, candid and other shots more to balance out the wedding.

Gads! 3000+/-?
Think of the editing!
I shoot about 300 editing down to 80 that I present. I find that if they get any more than that they have so much trouble choosing that the process becomes onerous. More is not better.
Having a zillion candids from the reception is just a waste of time and batteries. Very few reception shots are ever purchased. Focus your energy and talents where the money is but provide some fun, candid and other shots more to balance out the wedding.

i agree 3000 photos how many are dumped within the first hour of processing i wonder?

Having a zillion candids from the reception is just a waste of time and batteries. Very few reception shots are ever purchased.
If you are making your money by selling prints, then yes, it would certainly be better to concentrate on shots that will sell.

However, many of the people that are shooting 3000 shots, are not selling prints for the bulk of their income. Part of their service may be that they supply 700 (or however many) images on CD/DVD. They have probably charged for this service, up front.

A photographer that I work with/for...wanted me to shoot 100 images an hour...which I thought was ridiculous. I prescribe to quality over quantity...but there are times when you can still let'r rip and shoot like crazy

At my first wedding I shot just over 700 and that was a 6 hr event. I whittled it down to 188 after it was all done. The main shooter shot about the same quantity and I don't have any idea how many he worked it down to.

Most reactions

Back