How many tripods does one need?

Reverend

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alsphoto.com
Is there any reason that I might need more than one tripod? I have a "nice" tripod setup, and I have another that I'm not sure if I could keep or sell. I have a tendency to accumulate gear just out of an unwillingness to let stuff go, thinking I might need them, then as soon as I give up and sell something, I need it.

I currently have this setup:

Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N legs
http://www.adorama.com/BG3021N.html
BG3021N.jpg

Manfrotto Grip action ball head
http://www.adorama.com/BG322RC2.html
BG322RC2.jpg

I also have this tripod just sitting around. Its not a bad piece, its just not being used at the moment.
http://www.adorama.com/BG728B.html
BG728B.jpg

Thoughts?

well... to be honest sometimes i need more than one tripod to hold lights in the woods or so where I'm taking photos of somebody...

Mine stays in the trunk.

Tripods are almost like camera bags in that you may need different ones for different situations. I've got 3 or 4 different bags.

I have a great Manfrotto Professional 190 tripod with a ball head. It's very sturdy but it's heavy. I've also got a Velbon with thin aluminium legs and a built-in plastic 3-way head. It's not all that sturdy (or versatile) but on a long hike I'd probably choose it over the Manfrotto because of weight.

I also have a couple of table-top pods that are easy to keep in my bag. I might also get a mono-pod that can double as a hiking pole.

Reverend said:
You extra one does? Or your main one?

What do you use your extra for, if you have one?

I have two low end tripods. They stay in each cars for 'just in case' scenarios. I hardly work with tripods. The last time I used one was for a self portrait session, couple of months ago.

I use two old tripods for holding clip on shop lights. I prefer continous output lighting often times for still lifes, and the tripods come in handy. At some point, I'd like to get another tripod, just so I can leave one set up for still lifes, and keep another in the car.

I’ve somehow managed to collect several tripods over the years, but there is only one that I use regularly… A Manfrotto 3021 with a Manfrotto 3047 head. A tad heavy, but the combination makes for a very versatile and sturdy camera platform. To ease that weight on my shoulder, I’ve attached lengths of foam pipe insulation to the legs.

For camera stability when there isn’t room for a tripod, I use a Manfrotto 434 monopod and 3047 head.

Hi, I think you've answered your own question. "as soon as you sell something, you need it" It seem us photographers are hoarders, as I currently have about four tripods, but never seem to have the need to use them all at the same time. I just seem to use one of them 90% of the time. I suppose I use whatever is necessary for the camera I am using...Digital..6x7...5x4.

hmm i have one right now velbon cx440 , dose the job , and it was free, hehe

Most reactions

Back