How much do you crop? (with photos)

Micah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering how much crop is acceptable. I tried some wildlife and ended up having to crop about 1/2 of the picture to make it look right. I'm sure the pros would take the time to get close and get it right with no crop, but what is the norm?

bridge158.jpg

2. not wildlife, just my Dad's goats
bridge182.jpg

I think that the crop all depends on the image subject and how many megapixels you have. The more you crop down the more information you are losing. As long as the image is around 300 ppi at full size you should be good.

It depends on a few things. For example, if I'm making a large print, I really don't want to crop much because off all the pixels I'd be loosing. If it's just for web viewing or my own amusement, then I'll crop as much as I think the image needs.

I tend to shoot slightly wide and leave room for cropping...because sometimes I need different aspect ratios (8x10 for example) and if my original 2:3 image is too close, the 4:5 crop just doens't work.

I crop as much as I need, but I generally shoot with the intention of not doing any, or as little as possible. More often than anything I'll crop to a 4x5 ratio, just because I like that shape sometimes and can't get it out of the camera.

I was just wondering how much crop is acceptable. I tried some wildlife and ended up having to crop about 1/2 of the picture to make it look right. I'm sure the pros would take the time to get close and get it right with no crop, but what is the norm?

the 'pros' use a seven thousand dollar super telephoto lens to get close..

Ok the 2:3, 4:5 is greek to me. anyone care to splain?

Ok the 2:3, 4:5 is greek to me. anyone care to splain?

It's the print size ratio...
2:3 could be a 4x6" print
4:5 could be a 8x10" print.
Since each of these examples has a different ratio of length to width, a photo taken on a digital camera will need to be cropped differently for either size

Gotcha. Thanks. But theres math involed, and I hate that stuff.

Ok so my math aint so good. What would be min. PPI for 8x10? Or does that question even make sense?

I make it a point not to crop the image after shooting.
I make the best attempt of shooting what I expect as the final image.

Now, I know this cannot always be done as some objects/subjects are just too far away ... but then I make the decision not to take that image ... and find a slightly different image of the object/subject that does fit.

My favorite photographer, Arnold Newman, possibly the greatest 20th century portrait photographer, was a cropping mad man.

Rent that documentary about James Natchway (spelling?), and listen to what his printer says about photographers, and their unwillingness to crop out of the camera. He asks what's more important? The pride of getting it right in camera? Or the pride of creating a better photograph?

Obviously cropping in camera can be an important concern when using small format cameras, but as usual when it comes to art, sticking to the rules all the time gets in the way of the creative process.

Ok so my math aint so good. What would be min. PPI for 8x10? Or does that question even make sense?
No, that's a good question, though you may or may not know why. It's generally agreed that 300dpi is a good standard for printing at any average size. That's usually, very generally speaking, 11x14 and under. Although when you print larger, and the viewer is expected to be seeing the print from farther away, then you could get away with a printing resolution of under 100dpi.

For instance, highway billboards sure aren't printed at 300dpi.

I try to take shots that do not require cropping to get the final image - that helps you preserve as much of the image and quality as possible.
However I am not limiting myself to not cropping and will crop as much as is needed to get a shot to look right provided that I can get away with it without impacting the quality of the shot.

I think the best stance to take is to shoot without the intent of cropping as a standard method - though there will be many times where one cannot get close enough to a subject to get the shot. In those cases use the crop tool to the best of you advantage. I would not trick yourself into ever thinking that "pros" never to such things - some will and some won't - neither way is better than the other provided that you get the image (At the highest possible quality level) that you desire

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I feel a little better now.

Most reactions

Back