How much rain can a DSLR camera take?

LiveStrong2009

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am curious what other people are doing, please give me your thoughts. Each time I go out to take pics in snow or rain, I put my camera in a plastic bag, and just punch a hole big enough for the end of the lens to fit through. Do I need to do this? Will snow or rain on a Canon T1i ruin it?

Snow I wouldn't be as worried about it, but enough rain can damage things yes. It's actually surprising how much rain and other abuse cameras can take and keep working, BUT I am in the 'why take chances' school, and almost never my gear out in the rain without its raincoat unless I absolutely have to.

OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve

Cheap - widely sold and effective :)
Plus it lets you easily adjust the on lens controls, zoom ring and focusing ring - things often covered over with some of the more expensive rain/weather covers

Have had D40,D80,D200 and D90 up to 30mins no protection on multiple times where the camera & me need a good toweling and both of us keep a click'in.

So a bag is good cheap option. Seems Humidity is some locations would be more of a problem.

Thanks everybody! The weather here in SE Wisconsin is crazy, non-stop snow, 30mph wind, 25 degrees. It is perfect for some fun black and white snow photos. I just got home from the mission. I did continue to use the 2 gallon zip lock bag today, but sometimes it just makes things difficult- getting stabbed in the eye by the seam--moisture collecting inside-- trying to zip it back up inside my camera bag...

I will probably invest in some of those camera specific bags, despite the stories about perfectly functioning cameras in rain.

id say at least 3-4mm with 50mph winds from north

Mine is weather resistant but you have to have a WR lens with it... I always put a bag over it anyways and I've never had a problem :)

Most reactions

Back