What's new

How much sharper would these be with a Tripod?

imagesliveon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
212
Reaction score
54
Location
United Kingdom
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have done some editing in Lightroom... Maybe a little too much..

I am desperate to get them sharper. Could you all give me some pointers to achieve that?

These photos were taken hand held. Would a tripod make a big difference??

I ve only just found the confidence to use the camera on Manual as its still very new to me!



1.

074.jpg


2

066.jpg


3.

072.jpg



Regards
Simon
 
In general, yes... tripod.

In your case, your shutter was fast enough that I would have stopped down a little further.

2nd on is not bad....
 
1/1250 shutter speed is more than fast enough, as Usayit mentioned above! I too, would have stopped down a bit... probably to F8 or F11. You still would have had plenty of shutter speed, and they probably would have been a little sharper, especially if you were using a max F4 / F5.6 lens.
 
Tripod will never hurt. Bigger field of sharpness and more results than the tripod would be to use a very narrow aperture. Whatever the sharpest aperture is for your lens is a good spot to try!
 
Part of the issue is that at f5.6 and focused at infinity, much of your foreground is going to be out of focus slightly... not a problem unless a good chunk of your frame IS the foreground. Stopping down will also help with this... and perhaps try to figure out hyperfocal to max out depth of field.

I always shoot landscapes with a tripod... a good sturdy one as the minute details of such frames are important as there is no single foreground subject to direct the viewers eyes.
 
Thanks!

So a narrower aperture WITH tripod!

I'll give that a whirl! Do many folk here do the stacking method??

Regards
 
With a tripod and small aperture focusing stacking shouldn't be necessary, I've only ever used focus stacking in macro shots were the DOF is minuscule. Interested to see whether any other guys do though, look into investing in a graduated neutral density filter if your into landscape photography to expose both sky and foreground properly.
 
timputtick said:
With a tripod and small aperture focusing stacking shouldn't be necessary, I've only ever used focus stacking in macro shots were the DOF is minuscule. Interested to see whether any other guys do though, look into investing in a graduated neutral density filter if your into landscape photography to expose both sky and foreground properly.

Yes a grad filter is next on my list!

Regards
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom