How obsessed with photography are you?

Mostly I spend a lot of time thinking about Girls!
After that I think about sex, drugs and rock & roll.
After that my danged job takes priority for a big chunk of my days.
But I do shoot a lot of my photography professionally but the good thing is that the only time I have to think about photography, is while I’m thinking about photography, otherwise I’d probably think about it all the time!!! LoL
SS

I’m 94% collector and 6% photographer. I have a camera from my collection close by at all times. Like the gent with a .600 Westley Richards Double Barrel Elephant Gun...I don’t NEED to *USE* my gear to absolutely enjoy owning it. But the obsession level is the same. And I’m good with it

I am older than most trees and started taking photos before zoom lens existed. Of course, earning $79 a month doing my military service I couldn't afford lens anyway. I can remember how excited I got when Tri-X arrived with ASA 400 and, whoo-hoo, the sky was the limit. And life went on. I had a nice little Durst enlarger and enjoyed darkroom work. Then I got married. I soon had a choice of taking photos or having sex and making the wrong choice I ended up with neither. And, life went on.

When I got divorced, older, and had a better income I started taking photos again and when I moved to Mexico I got a digital camera. I soon found I wasn't enjoying photography. I sat down and wrote out all the steps in my photography and ranked the steps from Most Important/Enjoyable to Least. Then, I kept a log on how I was spending my time.

I found that most of my time was being spent on the step I found the least enjoyable. So, I corrected and I love taking photos again.

Two years ago I put my camera in the closet with my lens collection and other paraphernalia. I was tired of toting all the stuff. I got a mirrorless camera and had three lens. I got tired of carrying that around and decided to see what I could do with a phone camera. Since I'm hard of hearing I'd never got a cell phone.

I think the phone techology is amazing, the editing programs are awesome, and I'm having fun again.

Reactions: NGH
I am older than most trees and started taking photos before zoom lens existed. Of course, earning $79 a month doing my military service I couldn't afford lens anyway. I can remember how excited I got when Tri-X arrived with ASA 400 and, whoo-hoo, the sky was the limit. And life went on. I had a nice little Durst enlarger and enjoyed darkroom work. Then I got married. I soon had a choice of taking photos or having sex and making the wrong choice I ended up with neither. And, life went on.

When I got divorced, older, and had a better income I started taking photos again and when I moved to Mexico I got a digital camera. I soon found I wasn't enjoying photography. I sat down and wrote out all the steps in my photography and ranked the steps from Most Important/Enjoyable to Least. Then, I kept a log on how I was spending my time.

I found that most of my time was being spent on the step I found the least enjoyable. So, I corrected and I love taking photos again.

Two years ago I put my camera in the closet with my lens collection and other paraphernalia. I was tired of toting all the stuff. I got a mirrorless camera and had three lens. I got tired of carrying that around and decided to see what I could do with a phone camera. Since I'm hard of hearing I'd never got a cell phone.

I think the phone techology is amazing, the editing programs are awesome, and I'm having fun again.

I glad that you are finding new ways to enjoy your hobby, sounds like you have had an interesting journey - I especially like how you re-evaluated what worked for you. The Zoomar lens came out for 35mm photography in 1959 so you have indeed been at this for quite a while :)

I don’t have an obsession. I was a professional back in film days, and so I remember how not to get too obsessed. I would be obsessed with lenses and printing though.

I take my camera to church-seriously. Wherever I go the camera has to be by my side. I bought my first DSLR 5 years ago. It was a Nikon D3200. It took years to learn how to use all the features. The Nikon D3200 has help items to read about in the menu. I would read the menu and options while waiting in the doctors office or while out in the park etc.... I am a serious hobbyist. On weekends I will take my camera wherever I go. I don't always take photographs. But I do want the camera with me.

Well I took my first photo with my mother's Brownie in the 1950's, got my BA in photography in 1980 and have been working as a photographer ever since. I believe I enjoy it as much today as I ever have.

We're old for parents of a young child, it often takes both of us when a younger parent might be able to keep up with a two year old more readily. Until we had her I would spend a lot of time out in the workshop. With photography the hobby can directly include my wife and child, I'm on-hand to help, and I don't have to go clean up after working on something before I can help.

So right now it's a pretty big hobby, and goes well with my wife's interest in ordering calendars and picture books, lots of material for her to choose from.

It’s been almost a year since I started seriously into photography and a day doesn’t go by where I don’t think about photography. I am constantly buying all the latest mags reading on the latest equipment. I am pretty obsessed

I took a picture yesterday ... last time before that was about 2 months ago.

These days I prefer restoring cameras over taking photographs with them.

I am extremely obsessed with photography, I love bird and wildlife photography, if i see any animal, from a beetle to an elephant, "I NEED TO PHOTOGRAPH IT" I just love it.

I'll give you my kids for that roll of film.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back