How obsessed with photography are you?

Adadrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How obsessed about photography are you?
is it all you think about all day long? do you rarely think about it unless you take the camera out? are you always looking at the latest gear and watching reviews? do you collect camera's do you photograph every day all day long for no reason but you love it? do you get the latest photography magazines every month, do you check the forums all day long?

me? i pretty much think all day long where i can go and what i can do to take photos, and if i can't do that I'm checking the forums reading the latest gear and watching youtube. if i had the money i'd be collecting camera's! its an obsession to me haha.

I am pretty much thinking about photos all day.. everything i see that suddenly appears enhances my thoughts and reactions to go straight to the camera.. fast.. and when it is impossible to have the camera with me.. it really bothers me the shots i missed.. i regrettably don't think that all these thoughts actually add up too much !!! lol.. i have alot of photos that i delete.. but it is always that next one.. that keeps me fired up. and my mind working overtime ... and to me it is plain old fun..

is it all you think about all day long? do you rarely think about it unless you take the camera out? are you always looking at the latest gear and watching reviews? do you collect camera's do you photograph every day all day long for no reason but you love it? do you get the latest photography magazines every month, do you check the forums all day long?

me? i pretty much think all day long where i can go and what i can do to take photos, and if i can't do that I'm checking the forums reading the latest gear and watching youtube. if i had the money i'd be collecting camera's! its an obsession to me haha.
Not much.
No.
No.
No.
Not now, but I did at one time.
No.
No.
No.

It comes and goes. Most recently I was interested in portraiture, and have bought several lenses that are good for that, but lately have cooled a bit.

VERY!!!!!!

I work in a photo lab as a full time job (since 1985).
I collect cameras, I have around 2000. (Have a glass display case with about 200 of them in my living room)
Also collect old photos and slides.
I develop BW film 2-3 times a week at home for work.
I carry a loaded film camera where ever I go.
I read books about photography constantly.
I visit this forum everyday.
I spend many hours in the darkroom printing my BW negs, I'd say about 2 full days every month.

But I call it passion, not obsession.

Last edited:
I plead the 5th.

When I'm at a store shopping for clothes / furniture... my mind always goes to "This could be a good prop...."
When I'm walking around town or visiting a new home... "This would be a good background for a shot....."
So yeah.... pretty much always on my mind one way or another.

I might be obsessed, but I try to keep it in perspective. I do think of other things, and have been known to go out without a camera. I have occasionally gone over a week without taking a photo or buying something photo-related. (Perhaps not both in the same week that's probably asking too much)

I'm generally not to bothered about the latest reviews, but might take an interest in a few of them years later.
Not sure if my hoard of cameras etc would be considered a true collection (it's to arbitrary), but I probably have over 50 bodies, over 200 lenses (some you might not consider as lenses), hundreds of photographic books and even approaching a hundred half planed projects...

I rarely get photo magazines anymore, most of the articles that interest me are only rehashes of ones I've had for years.

My tea breaks at work, are usually spent on photo forums (or e-bay) as well as a fair bit of my lunchtimes if not out with a camera, sometimes forgetting to start work again at the end & so I have to stay late. :blush:

I attend (& help run) a photographic workshop on Monday nights (typically missing only a couple of sessions a year due to holidays or working away from home). I've been responsible for a few unofficial sessions too.:eagerness:

I shoot as much as i can, i struggle to find things to photograph, the birds seem to have vanished here, now where really for landscape shots were i live, so ive resorted to macro photos, but that can get boring after a while.

I am not nearly as preoccupied with photography, and cameras, and lenses, and lighting gear as I was say 12 to 15 years ago. Around 2003 to 2007 I was extremely obsessed with photography, and I greatly expanded my equipment set during those years.

I waited for about 20 years or more for what I thought would be a digital still video camera, but in 1998 Nikon announced the D1,and in February 2001 I bought myself a used D1.Since that time I have bought 11 or 12 digital single lens reflex cameras and several compact digital cameras,as well as a huge assortment of lighting gear, most of it acquired off of eBay. However since 2017 my photography has slowed down quite a bit.

I no longer am obsessed with photography, and I no longer comb the web daily in search of the latest advances in photography. A couple of years ago I decided to get rid of stuff I was no longer using, and I sold off most all of my Canon lenses, but I did keep a couple of Canon digital bodies. I sold off my big 200 and 300 millimeter Nikon lenses,and I got rid of lenses that I no longer needed or used only very infrequently, and now have reduced my Nikon lens collection way,way down to about 20 lenses.

I have been interested in photography for about 45 years now, and if you buy one lens every year for 45 years it is pretty easy to develop a huge lens collection. If you buy two or three lenses in a year every other year, you'll still have a huge collection of lenses after 25 or 30 years.

Last edited:
Even though I am in the UK can I take the 5th ?.
My wife says that I am obsessed with this site,
I try and balance the photography with life, but most of my books are on photography as are the pod casts and most of my apps
And of course I suffer from L glass syndrome it’s a variant of GAS
that only canon owners can catch

And of course I suffer from L glass syndrome it’s a variant of GAS
that only canon owners can catch
I think it;s open to non Canon owners too now there are such a large range of autofocusing adapters.
I'm certainly getting tempted by the 70-200 f4 L USM even with a good adapter it's cheaper than the sony option

Photography is one of a multitude of interests and hobbies of mine. I try to combine several of them often. I have coupled my camera to my telescope. I use it to document my canoe trips. I have used it to study my shotgun patterns and rifle groups. It comes in handy when emailing photos of my antennas to other hams and it is my companion when hiking the the woods looking for my next nature shots.

I really enjoy using a 1910 Seneca view camera I restored and I am currently restoring my uncle's 1940's Kodak autofocus enlarger. I used my camera to document the disassembly of parts.

I prefer black and white over color and find digital handy when I am experimenting, because I am not limited on the number of pictures I can try.

Basically my camera is one of my many tools, when it is not serving the artistic side of my nature.

I really do like photography, but I could never be obsessed it. You do get some folk that become obsessed with a lot of things, but me no chance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back