How often do you use lens correction?

Drake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using the Remove Chromatic Aberration tool in Lightroom on all my photos for a long time and I'm loving the results. But every time I try to enable the lens profile corrections, I'm having kind of mixed feelings. I like how it's getting rid of vignetting, but not so sure about the distortion, especially with wide angle (18-22 mm on apsc). All the lines seem to straighten, but most objects apart from the centre of the image seem to be more distorted than on the untouched RAW. It's most visible on people faces, but also cars, trees etc.

My question is how often do you use the tool? I know you can modify it, dial it down or exaggerate, all the technical stuff. Bow how do you use it in your workflow? Do you apply it to all photos? Only architecture and similar shots? Or perhaps you try to stay away from it as much as possible?

I always doo it for buildings and portraits. Building because it helps straighten line and for portraits because it make people look skinnier.

I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've used it.

I use it a lot with my wide angle...

Always. And I almost always correct for perspective distortion.

With my 35 I will try it out to see if I like the results. With my 50 I don't use it at all.

I seem to use it on most photos, it only seem sot make a slight difference that I can see so i generally use it.

Every photo, every time. Why would you not use the lens data that correctly shows the image portrayed the way it should be? Am I misunderstanding the concept of using Lens Correction data? Wouldn't be the first time!

I have yet to have anyone tell me, "Hey, it's a good photo, but you didn't do a lens correction..........".
headslap.gif

I'm with the always crowd. Don't really know how much good it does, but I'm positive it does no harm.

Oh, I didn't know if you meant in-camera. Mine is off there, but it's a default option when importing into Lightroom. I guess either way is useable.

I use it whenever LR supports the lens.

I use it on almost all zoom and telephoto photos I process in Lightroom, as long as it doesn't hurt the final image; there are times when the framing is tight, and the lens correction profile on my 70-200 and 80-200 can cause the "tight edge" to become too close, so if that's the case, I will un-click the correction. On some lenses, I really do not like the correction, like on the 35mm f/2 AF-D Nikkor; I prefer NOT to use the LR correction for that lens.

Most reactions

Back