How often do you use lens correction?

Add my name to the 100% of the time I use the lens correction feature. As every lens has some level of distortion 'built in', I think it's a necessity. It also saves a lot of time trying to get vertical lines vertical, etc.

It's the first thing I do in my workflow. I don't typically adjust the sliders though, unless there is a lot of CA or distortion. It's a habit I picked up from online photo editing tutorial.
If it's on the interwebz it must be right... ;)

I always doo it for buildings and portraits. Building because it helps straighten line and for portraits because it make people look skinnier.
Yup agreed..

Thanks a lot for your opinions . Don't you think the corners sometimes actually look more distorted after the correction? As an example, here's the shot. I know it's just a poor snap, but it illustrates well what I'm trying to show you. The first one is the original, second one has default lens correction applied. To me, all the people and the white van in the bottom left corner look actually more natural in the first shot. Is it just me? And yeah, I know the cathedral looks a thousand times better with it's line straightened.

Guess it's always a compromise, isn't it?

IMG_2698.jpg IMG_2698-2.jpg

I should use it more, but the controls are way down at the bottom. lol
But any building, straight lines more than likely I'll use it or at least do manual corrections.

I have it built into some presets I use on import (SLR Lounge) so it is on a lot of the time.

But def not always

Thanks a lot for your opinions . Don't you think the corners sometimes actually look more distorted after the correction? As an example, here's the shot. I know it's just a poor snap, but it illustrates well what I'm trying to show you. The first one is the original, second one has default lens correction applied. To me, all the people and the white van in the bottom left corner look actually more natural in the first shot. Is it just me? And yeah, I know the cathedral looks a thousand times better with it's line straightened.

In your example most of the distortion is due to converging verticals caused by having the camera not square on to the subject, i.e. pointing upwards.
The lens profile correction only corrects for pincushion and barrel distortion (which it did quite well in your example), if you want to correct for converging verticals you have to either do it in the manual tab or use the appropriate auto correction in the lens correction basic tab and hope that it works. The auto correction for vertical or horizontal convergence are very much hit and miss, when they work they are brilliant but if they don't like your image they can make a total mess.

I rarely use it. I see a loss in detail where it makes corrections. I will use it for architecture shots where the distortion is worse to look at than the loss in detail.

It's the first thing I do in my workflow. I don't typically adjust the sliders though, unless there is a lot of CA or distortion. It's a habit I picked up from online photo editing tutorial.

Why wouldn't you automate it so it's always on when you import?

Last edited:

In your example most of the distortion is due to converging verticals caused by having the camera not square on to the subject, i.e. pointing upwards.
The lens profile correction only corrects for pincushion and barrel distortion (which it did quite well in your example), if you want to correct for converging verticals you have to either do it in the manual tab or use the appropriate auto correction in the lens correction basic tab and hope that it works. The auto correction for vertical or horizontal convergence are very much hit and miss, when they work they are brilliant but if they don't like your image they can make a total mess.
Thanks a lot, totally forgot that lens correction isn't equal to perspective correction. Now it makes sense!

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 122

Thanks a lot, totally forgot that lens correction isn't equal to perspective correction. Now it makes sense!

much better.

Why wouldn't you automate it so it's always on when you import?
If that's possible to do I wasn't aware. I'll have to look into that. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back