How often do you use your tripod?

TJ K

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was just wondering how often all of you use your tripods because i was wanting to purchase a tripod for around $230ish but i'm not sure if I will be using it enough to justify spending that type of cash on something if it's only a once in a while thing. So what type of situations do you find yourself using a tripod besides long exposures? thank you very much!

I use mine frequently. Remember that most people can't really handhold well at slower than 1/(focal length). Since I have a 100-300mm f4 and use it with a 1.4X TC, that makes 1/420 sec or slower really demands a pod.

i don't use my tripod much, but I use my mono pod a lot. I use the tripod basically just during portrait shoots.. weddings I go hand held, extreme sports, almost always hand held, nature/scenery I always use the tripod..

Depends on what you're shooting...
If you into nights, then tripod will be your very good friend. If into portraits, you can get away with handheld. It really depends on your preference and situation you are in.
good luck

Right now, 100% of the time. I shoot only for ebay.

Before: landscapes (set up the shot and wait for the right light, right clouds, whatever); some animal photo (again, set up the shot and wait for the animal to enter the frame and hopefully take the right pose); a lot of studio work.

There are a lot of uses for a tripod. But only you can tell how much there is for you.

I use mine ALL the time, and its only a $30 one from Walmart haha doesn't the job and I am never more than about a foot from the camera so I dont have to worry about it falling over or anything.

Well I'm planning on taking a vacation to the North Carolina/Kentucky area so there will be waterfalls and hiking and landscapes and things of that nature.

Not enough to justify the $225 I spent on it... anyone want to buy some Manfrotto legs? :)

I am sure mostly everyone will disagree with me, but I really see nothing wrong with my $30 tripod. It hold up and supports my camera with no problems at all. If your standing right next to your camera... I dont see why not go with the $30-50 ones. Just my personal opinion tho

I use mine whenever the situation calls for it. A tripod in photography is like a lawnmower for a home owner. You don't use it all the time, but it's something that most photographers needed at certain times. Part of the essentials.

Just got back from shooting quite a few of the NC waterfalls. Kicked myself nearly daily for not having my tripod sent with my camera. One plus about that area is that you won't need to worry about wind too much so your tripod won't have to be super stable in that regard I would think.

I have taken to not checking bags when I fly and, for that reason, rarely take a tripod travelling . I really miss it when I don't have it (there were several situations on my recent trip to Alaska where it would have gotten me some pix I didn't get).

I use mine whenever the situation calls for it. A tripod in photography is like a lawnmower for a home owner. You don't use it all the time, but it's something that most photographers needed at certain times. Part of the essentials.
That is something like I was thinking you don't always use it but when you need it and you don't have it you will really wish you did. And I just checked out your gear list! WOW you really have some nice quality equipment.

I have taken to not checking bags when I fly and, for that reason, rarely take a tripod travelling . I really miss it when I don't have it (there were several situations on my recent trip to Alaska where it would have gotten me some pix I didn't get).
Did you miss it enough that it is really worth bringing the next time or just some pictures but wasn't so bad in the end?

Brown/FedEx is cheap! When I went to Hollywood FL earlier this year, I knew where I was staying and had it shipped to the hotel by brown. At the front desk when I got there. Cost me less than checking it on the plane and when I returned I shipped it back right at the airport. It was home a day after I arrived home.

Most reactions

Back