How should I process this??

Heres my take on it, just did an HDR from the single image with -2, -1, +1 and +2 exposures

hdr_by_ryanwaff-d4nw22x.jpg

Thank you for all the help.. I realize the picture is not good, but that's what I need. I'm doing a 52 week challenge and this week's theme is imperfection, so this picture will for that. I do like the tree and wish I could have done a better job shooting it. All I need to do now is try editing it again.

Thank you for the feedback, however, I need some help processing the picture. I need to make it look as good as possible for something I'm doing. All I'm asking for is a little help processing the picture. Can someone help me?? Thank you!!
If your using a pc just use right click delete should work a treat
Nice...does that make you feel good?? It must. Sad!!

Don't let it get to you, that's typical gsgary. It's classic male overcompensation behavior. Some guys have --well, you know....;)

Anyway go to gsgary's smugmug page (Gary Clarke's Photos) and have a look at his photos. It'll make you feel a lot better. Right now he even has a photo of a horse's ass on the site -- yep a horse's ass:

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Thornbridge-Hunt/i-FjGzHsJ/0/L/Image00010-L.jpg

Joe

Thank you for the feedback, however, I need some help processing the picture. I need to make it look as good as possible for something I'm doing. All I'm asking for is a little help processing the picture. Can someone help me?? Thank you!!

Sorry but it is not worth the effort to edit

Don't let it get to you, that's typical gsgary. It's classic male overcompensation behavior. Some guys have --well, you know....;)

Anyway go to gsgary's smugmug page (Gary Clarke's Photos) and have a look at his photos. It'll make you feel a lot better. Right now he even has a photo of a horse's ass on the site -- yep a horse's ass:

http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Thornbridge-Hunt/i-FjGzHsJ/0/L/Image00010-L.jpg

Joe

But the shot has balance, and i also have a bottle of vodka have a drink on me
1142473646_8Sa5v-L.jpg

Heres my take on it, just did an HDR from the single image with -2, -1, +1 and +2 exposures

This... is a train wreck. You cannot create an HDR with one JPEG. You cannot bring out data where none exists.

Joe

I disagree. Gary is absolutely correct. This photo is not worth bothering with. What's the point of editing something when there is nothing of value there? It's like detailing a rusty wreck of a vehicle without an engine that you found in the woods.

This forum needs more pointed honesty if you ask me.

I like the B&W best. If you boosted the contrast, maybe dial it back just a hair.

It really makes the textures pop right out.

It IS kind of sad. Those people are sometimes pretty rude, then they're afraid to post their own pix because they're afraid of the aftermath.

In my opinion, if they're going to say the pic is bad, they should at least say what they'd do differently and try not to forget that we all started humbly.

The saddest thing is that other people see these comments and decide not to open themselves up to this kind of crap, and the whole community suffers as a result.

Also, I think the quasi HDR version looks a lot better than the original. Thanks to him for spending the time.

Here's a lesson in class for some of you: if you don't think it is good, and don't think it is worth editing, say why not, then leave. No need to hang around and be a harpy.

This... is a train wreck. You cannot create an HDR with one JPEG. You cannot bring out data where none exists.

Joe

I disagree. Gary is absolutely correct. This photo is not worth bothering with. What's the point of editing something when there is nothing of value there? It's like detailing a rusty wreck of a vehicle without an engine that you found in the woods.

This forum needs more pointed honesty if you ask me.

I asked for help editing the picture. I didn't ask if it was good enough to edit.

Last edited:
It IS kind of sad. Those people are sometimes pretty rude, then they're afraid to post their own pix because they're afraid of the aftermath.

In my opinion, if they're going to say the pic is bad, they should at least say what they'd do differently and try not to forget that we all started humbly.

The saddest thing is that other people see these comments and decide not to open themselves up to this kind of crap, and the whole community suffers as a result.

Normally I ignore the crap, but I'm in a bitchy mood today!! :grumpy:

Oh whah. Seriously.

First off, my comment pretty clearly established what to do differently... let me restate for you: "not that".

The problem is that a lot of people who post on here don't understand photography to a depth that makes it so that certain comments come off as a sleight, when in reality there was little else one could say. Let's take the picture from the OP as an example...

...so what we have here is a seriously close up image of the branches of a tree. Ok. As a photograph it isn't all that interesting, but how can I tell you how to make it better? I really can't. It's a tree. Trees don't make great subjects by themselves without something being really unique about them or something and even then it's pushing it... because it's a tree!... and since we're zoomed in so close I can't really see much around the tree, I can't even tell you if you could take advantage of something else around the tree to make it work better. In the end, it's just a "not good photo".

Further, the edit... my comment stating that it's not worth spending time editing it IS A LESSON IN EDITING. Again, many folks don't get it here because they just don't have the experience to understand, but learning when NOT TO EDIT, and even more importantly WHEN TO BIN AN IMAGE COMPLETELY is a very important lesson in editing.

My advice to you and anyone else on here who on the one hand claims to need to learn more, but then on the other hand judges the correctness of the methods in which the more experience members teach, is to seriously think about the result of those two things together. If you have relatively little clue about how to do something, do you REALLY think you know best how to teach it? Hm?

You know what I think makes this community suffer? Whiners, people looking for pats on the back, and people who self-righteously defend that which I know to be garbage.

If we had 1000x more people who were harsh but knew what the hell they were talking about than we do people saying "wow thems purdy colors! nice job!!!" I think we'd be far better off than we are today.

Oh, but the latter of those two groups of people chased off most of the former group already. Too late.

If we had 1000x more people who were harsh but knew what the hell they were talking about than we do people saying "wow thems purdy colors! nice job!!!" I think we'd be far better off than we are today.

Oh, but the latter of those two groups of people chased off most of the former group already. Too late.

If it were possible to 'like' posts two or three times I would have.
Sometimes if a picture is bad, there is no way to retake it, given that we don't have the subject or the place in hand.
Sometimes it is just time to cut one's losses and take another picture.

Just beating the crap out of a picture in an attempt to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just doesn't work and giving advice in a losing cause is actually detrimental.
Toss this, take a better one.
Understand what you want to do to make it better in editing.

As for harsh, you guys don't know harsh.
Believe me that many of the people who looked at this picture and then didn't say anything, wanted to say that it should be dumped.
This is not, or perhaps shouldn't be, a damn kindergarden.

Grow up, look at good pictures, figure out why they're good and try to emulate them

And then post them.

If it were possible to 'like' posts two or three times I would have.
Sometimes if a picture is bad, there is no way to retake it, given that we don't have the subject or the place in hand.
Sometimes it is just time to cut one's losses and take another picture.

Just beating the crap out of a picture in an attempt to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just doesn't work and giving advice in a losing cause is actually detrimental.
Toss this, take a better one.
Understand what you want to do to make it better in editing.

As for harsh, you guys don't know harsh.
Believe me that many of the people who looked at this picture and then didn't say anything, wanted to say that it should be dumped.
This is not, or perhaps shouldn't be, a damn kindergarden.

Grow up, look at good pictures, figure out why they're good and try to emulate them

And then post them.

For crying out loud....Yes, I know the picture sucks. I was using it for a 52 week challenge I'm involved in. I'm new to photography and this was a picture I wanted to use as an example of the many imperfect pictures I take since the theme was imperfection. Is that so wrong?? I'm not whining because you don't like my picture. I could care less..I just wanted to get a little help and it turns into this huge ordeal. In hind sight I should have just used the SOOC image and avoided all this drama!! Live and learn.

I must admit that I am confused.

Typically when people say that they want to 'edit' a picture, they want to improve it in some way.
This is clearly not what you had in mind.

Perhaps in the future, rather than asking to 'edit' the picture, you state exactly what you'd like done to the picture.
That will clarify things for the rest of us, who are happy to help.

As far as something for the 'Imperfect' theme, I think you've got it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back