How to achieve this look?

bar-elo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Very simple. The effect is the result of a 'shallow Depth of Field' (DOF).

DOF is controlled by a few factors;
The main factor is the aperture of the lens, a larger aperture (smaller F number) will give you a more shallow DOF.
The focal length is a factor, the longer the focal length (you might say zoom), the more shallow the DOF.
The closer the subject is the the camera, the more shallow the DOF can be.
The size of the recording medium (film or digital sensor) is a factor. A larger sensor can give you more shallow DOF than a smaller one. This is why it's hard to get this effect with a typical compact digital camera...they have very small sensors.

Thanks for the info, it was very useful.
I wasn’t aware that the longer the focal length the more DOF you could achieve. Do you think that kind of pictures could be taken with a 55mm lens? Or do I need a telephoto?

It can be done at just about any focal length really. The aperture setting has a lot to do with it. Get the widest aperture you can. This sample was shot at f/2.8 and 70mm.

504479742_qh2xF-L.jpg

This was shot at f/4 and 60mm.

523539703_VQKX3-L.jpg

I wasn’t aware that the longer the focal length the more DOF you could achieve. Do you think that kind of pictures could be taken with a 55mm lens? Or do I need a telephoto?
Technically, the longer the focal length, the LESS DOF you can achieve...but the background can get more out of focus ;)

The problem with that, is that with a longer lens, you may have to back up to frame your shot, and the farther back you get, the more DOF you get...so it's a trade off.
As mentioned, the main factor is the aperture of the lens.

That’s what I meant, sorry, less DOF.
I usually take pictures with high f/stop so everything is "focused" but now I’m going to go the other way around, looks interesting. Thanks for the help people!

Very simple. The effect is the result of a 'shallow Depth of Field' (DOF).

DOF is controlled by a few factors;
The main factor is the aperture of the lens, a larger aperture (smaller F number) will give you a more shallow DOF.
The focal length is a factor, the longer the focal length (you might say zoom), the more shallow the DOF.
The closer the subject is the the camera, the more shallow the DOF can be.
The size of the recording medium (film or digital sensor) is a factor. A larger sensor can give you more shallow DOF than a smaller one. This is why it's hard to get this effect with a typical compact digital camera...they have very small sensors.

Mike - You really know your stuff. This is FANTASTIC. I was reading my manual for my DSLR (I'm just getting in to photography that is greater than a point + shoot) and I was reading about this in the manual and the way they have it written is confusing as well. The explanation you gave here is perfect, easy to understand. I actually printed out this post you made and put it onto a flashcard to keep with my camera equipment as a reminder of how to do it if I get confused.

I have 1 other question - I have a lense that's got a "Macro" mode(it's a switch on the side next to the MF/AF button). It is an older model Canon lens, purchased in the 90's by my dad for his film SLR (we now both have DSLR's) but the lens is compatible and works fine. I have played around with the aperature setting to create some cool pictures, I don't have the actual lens model with me (I'm at work now) but I can get it when I get home - but my question is do you know if switching the button to "Macro" will automatically set the aperature, and DOF for me?

I understand if this is a stupid question to ask before giving you the lens model and everything like that - just figured I would ask. I'll post the lens model when I get home.

I believe the switch is for this purpose.

Quote from Wikipedia

"Focusing distance range limiter switch: This switch is found on most longer focal length lenses, and macro lenses. It is used for limiting the focusing distance range of the lens, when using it in autofocus mode. Most lenses have two settings, these are usually full focus range (from minimum focus distance to infinity), and distant focus range (from half way point of focus range to infinity). Other lenses have three settings, with the additional setting usually being near focus range (from minimum focus distance to half way point of focus range). The reason for this feature is to shorten the autofocus time for the lens. Longer focal length lenses, and macro lenses, have a longer travel distance for the focusing mechanism inside the lens. So when the photographer knows they will not need a certain part of the focus distance range, limiting it will help shorten the autofocus time, and possibly prevent "focus hunting"."

Did you shoot these photos? If not who did? Did they give you permission to post these with out credit?

Love & Bass

Unless they are your pictures I seem to think it's not your problem? And if they are you should watermark them.

Unless they are your pictures I seem to think it's not your problem? And if they are you should watermark them.

I believe it's forum policy to post only photos you have legal rights to. That said, you can post links to anyone's images for discussion purposes.

I believe it's forum policy to post only photos you have legal rights to. That said, you can post links to anyone's images for discussion purposes.
I think you're correct but is it up to every member to check on that? Or is it up to admins and moderators?

I think you're correct but is it up to every member to check on that? Or is it up to admins and moderators?

Not to be an ass, but is it not the responsibility of EACH member to read the rules and follow them and not need to be hand held like a child through all the simple and obvious things?

"* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated."

Then that's clear. (Regarding the forum rules.)

If you would like to read more on exposure, I would recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. He's pretty good to explain it in simpler terms, and it is considered to be one of the "must have" books in photography.

With all due respect and I hate to detract from a valid thread (sans posted photos). Are you on glue? As photographers we MUST respect each others work. Photography is a tough racket. Credit where credit is due is an unwritten law. It is the responsibility of every individual and not the mods.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

Back