How to clean the CCD

MossEsque

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have a problem, im sure i have dust on my CCD, i have been getting a few black specs on all pictures, whatever the lens.

What is the best way to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I have a problem, im sure i have dust on my CCD, i have been getting a few black specs on all pictures, whatever the lens.

What is the best way to get rid of them?

Thanks in advance

Lock up your mirror (refer to the owner's manual).

1. If the dust is dry, try this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/541904-REG/Giottos_AA1903_Rocket_Air_Blower_.html

2. If that doesn't work, try this:
http://www.visibledust.com/

Be aware that Nikon's official position is that the user should perform only step #1. A Nikon tech is recommended for any further action.

I recently had a similar prob with dust in the Canon - I was getting a big black spec visable which wasn't on the lens - It was always showing in the viewfinder but wasn't coming out on the pictures luckily - I found a speck of dust on the mirror which I thought was the culprit and i gently wipped it away with a soft ens cloth - stupid me the problem then just got worse as i then got fibres then showing up also - these though werent on the mirror after another wipe which did nothing - I worked out they were on the glass below the viewfinder (not sure if thats the ccd?) and when i'd wiped the mirror gently it had touched up there also with the cloth.

We ended up getting a hand operated ball bump - the ones that have the really thin nozzle and gently blew a couple of pumps of air up there which got rid of it all - YAY - Next time It will be the air first rather than trying to wipe the mirror which just made the problem worse.....

I recently had a similar prob with dust in the Canon - I was getting a big black spec visable which wasn't on the lens - It was always showing in the viewfinder but wasn't coming out on the pictures luckily - I found a speck of dust on the mirror which I thought was the culprit and i gently wipped it away with a soft ens cloth - stupid me the problem then just got worse as i then got fibres then showing up also - these though werent on the mirror after another wipe which did nothing - I worked out they were on the glass below the viewfinder (not sure if thats the ccd?) and when i'd wiped the mirror gently it had touched up there also with the cloth.

We ended up getting a hand operated ball bump - the ones that have the really thin nozzle and gently blew a couple of pumps of air up there which got rid of it all - YAY - Next time It will be the air first rather than trying to wipe the mirror which just made the problem worse.....

Technically, you don't clean the CCD. You clean the filter in front of the CCD. Also, that air pump is item #1 in my original response.

If you can see the spec in the viewfinder...it's probably on the mirror or on something in the viewfinder...but not on the sensor (which is what the original poster was asking about). Either way, it will not show up in the images because the mirror flips up before the exposure.

If there is dust on the the sensor, you will not be able to see it in the viewfinder, but it may show up in the images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back