How to correctly use the flash?

photo_passion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello:

I just bought a speedLite 430EX II.

I tried inside a room, and the result: in the middle there was light, and in the corners darkness...

The flash comes with some sort of diffuser, like it can be seen in this picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3551/3324777638_2cd1f067ee.jpg

I used it and yes, there is a lot of improvement... but not really the 100% maybe 98%...

I searched and there seems to be this kind of diffuser you can buy:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3960845676_b44f8088ce.jpg

Would there be a significant improvement in dark corners if I bought one? What would be the differences in light quality?

Anyway am I using the flash in a wrong way? Something I could do? I didnt configure anything in the flash... just plugged and shoot both auto and fully manually (camera settings not flash settings)...

You have to be more specific please. Where did you aim the flash? Did you bounce off a ceiling or wall? What was the ambient light in the room and did you expose for that at all?

Also can you post a pic as an example please?

Congrats on the new Canon flash!

Hello:

Well theres 1 important issue to add, is that I was using a wide angle, a Tokina 11-16... in a 7D (APS-C)... so may be too larger than the flash can spread...

I tried both the ceiling, and direct...

To the ceiling, I cant not get enough light... direct into the focus point, I get great light, but I get the dark corners...

I tried different combinations, both closed windows and open... of course with close windows the effect is higher, with open windows gets "less pronounced or less visible"... but its there...

Dont have pics here...

You have to be more specific please. Where did you aim the flash? Did you bounce off a ceiling or wall? What was the ambient light in the room and did you expose for that at all?

Also can you post a pic as an example please?

Congrats on the new Canon flash!

Hello:

Well theres 1 important issue to add, is that I was using a wide angle, a Tokina 11-16... in a 7D (APS-C)... so may be too larger than the flash can spread...

Ah, man I want one of those lenses so badly.. best super-wide or so they say..

I don't think you'll be able to light that much of an area (that 11mm will show) with a single flash. You could use an off camera flash (or two would be nice) and that will give better results.

Someone here might have a better idea though, but I don't think any modifier that attaches itself to a hotshoe mounted speedlight is going to light up 11mm worth of view..

Most reactions

Back