How to deal with critique

Sorry about that. I didn't realize I chopped it off. I couldn't figure out how to fix the quote, so I just deleted it. My error.

Sorry about that. I didn't realize I chopped it off. I couldn't figure out how to fix the quote, so I just deleted it. My error.
:D
it's ok, it's funny actually

here's the quote ;)

There is no real need for the OP to 'disagree' with a c/c.
The OP asks for comments and gets them.
The OP should use what they want and not use what they don't.
Actively 'disagreeing' with a comment seems needlessly ungrateful to me.

I don't see how its ungrateful.
There is no rule nor social expectation that we must accept and agree with all that other people say. Indeed disagreeing is often one of THE most important things. Because its only when someone says "I don't agree with that" that the critical party is often encouraged to pose a more well rounded, more in depth reply or to cite theories or ideas that would support their argument.

If you're intent is to further other peoples understanding through critique then surely them asking questions and not agreeing is key.

Also part of developing in photography (and indeed any art) is moving from being told to doing the telling. To shift from doing what others say and having your own voice to say what you want.

Can't we all just have thick skin?

The admin team forbade us paying for all members to have free skin grafts to increase skin thickness. We thus do advise that members spend as much time as possible doing heavy manual labour

There is no rule nor social expectation that we must accept and agree with all that other people say. Indeed disagreeing is often one of THE most important things. Because its only when someone says "I don't agree with that" that the critical party is often encouraged to pose a more well rounded, more in depth reply or to cite theories or ideas that would support their argument.

If you're intent is to further other peoples understanding through critique then surely them asking questions and not agreeing is key.

Also part of developing in photography (and indeed any art) is moving from being told to doing the telling. To shift from doing what others say and having your own voice to say what you want.

Certainly, if asking a question is part of it, then further discussion helps.
A flat 'I don't agree', which I've seen many times, with nothing further is like asking for a gift and then saying you don't like it.

I like when people disagree with me. It makes me think about why and if I might be missing something or not know something. Usually when someone disagrees it means I am about to learn something. I still may not agree with them in the end, but most assuredly I do learn something. Also if someone doesn't agree I could just be wrong. It has been known to happen. in which case I am still learning something.

A flat 'I don't agree', which I've seen many times, with nothing further is like asking for a gift and then saying you don't like it.
hey would you mind looking at my untitled pic I posted? not for subject comment but just processing. I remember that tree and out house pic you posted and would like to see if I could bring my bw to that level with just basic processing and no masks or burning. I am also working on the sharpness/noise reduction still as sleist nailed me on overdoing noise reduction eight months ago, I caught myself doing it again on a photo so clearly I need to pay more attention. Really no clue. On the untitled photo I just zoomed in on the center house in back showing through the trees and moved the sliders a bit until "i dunno I think it looks okay"

Ok, so lets compare that to my list.

1. Have a good cry
2. Throw a tantrum
3. Deny everything
4. Play the "for artistic reasons card"
5. Go on a killing spree
6. Have a big plate of Nachos.

Ok, so other than the Nacho's I think they are pretty close.. lol

often times, C&C, both the asking for critique on ones photo and the giving of critique to someone elses photo, leads to a discussion. whether it is by means of agreement or disagreement, I think posting a photo for C&C is, by its very nature, asking for a discussion on said photo. Granted, some people do not want any feedback on their posts and are upset when they get it. Others want the discussion, and are upset when they do not get it.
Part of the issue is people not being clear about what they want when they post, and part of the issue is people not being clear about what they want to offer when they respond. Whatever the case, the end result is that we have all been guilty of giving and receiving critique poorly at some point. It is the responsibility of everyone involved to moderate their choice of words when they post.

I think one of the best ways you can give C&C , regardless of your own level of experience, is to say why you answered the way you did.
I love that photo, because....
I don't like that photo, because....

Im not saying that simply posting "great shot!" or "not feeling this one" is inherently wrong, if thats how you feel about it, and that's all you want to write...what I am saying, is that people posting pictures for critique want to know why you like or don't like their work. they want the discussion, because learning what is right and wrong with a picture, and learning what people like and dislike about a photo helps us grow as a photographer.

There is also nothing wrong with the OP disagreeing with someones critique of their work.
C&C is a discussion, not a one sided argument. and in discussions, people can disagree.
However, it is just as important for the OP to remain objective about their work as it is for people
commenting. Both sides need to be open and receptive to varying opinions and suggestions.
theres no reason we cant be civil, is there?

I think a big problem is the way some C&C is presented. I've been hearing the term "thick skin" since I joined here and I've never been quite sure why this needs to be a requirement to disccuss critque. This isn't Marine boot camp. There's no need to "toughen up".
I feel being online desensitizes people. I personally try to talk to people as though they are sitting across a table, discussing a photograph over a cup of coffee.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back