How to deal with critique

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So if you've read my earlier writing here How to structure your posts to get critiques on your work (C&C) | Photography Forum you already know how to do your best to get feedback on your photos. You know how to present yourself and even start the process of self critique.

However there is another side of the coin that we all need to learn, its simple, but a few tricks and tips can really help get the best out of it - and that is how to respond to feedback that you've gotten on your photography. So below are a few pointers that you can use which should help you deal with critique and also improve your chances of getting more in the future.

1) Be polite and take the time to say thank you. Yes that sounds really very very basic; but we've all been guilty of coming onto the site (maybe at work or browsing without logging in) and reading our thread, reading the comments and then not saying anything.
Whilst it is not expected, the very least we can do is pause for a moment and post to say thank you to those who have offered up their time and ideas t post and give their feedback - even if its something as short as "Great shot" or "bad shot". Yes we thank those who even don't like our photography because each viewpoint is a valid critique.
This is the first and easiest thing we can do, this simple act of politeness.

2) Don't get upset.
Ok so some people might not like your photos. You might like them - you might have put lots of effort into them. Other people that you know might like them - but all that doesn't matter.
You've posted your photos and asked for peoples honest opinions. In that light a positive or a negative feedback is both equally valid.

3) Learn to separate opinion from reason.
When a person says they like or dislike something that is good, it gives you a base line to work from. When you get critique and comments you'll also likely get not only an opinion, but also a reasoning for that opinion. So put the opinion to one side for now and read the reasoning behind it. This is the gold mine; this is the key information you really want and will really benefit from. The WHY of an opinion. It's what you came here and posted for.

Now the reasoning will be varied, some of it you might understand and some not. When a person stats a theory or concept as the reason for their like or dislike use that term - ask them about it and also do some research of your own (search the forum/google/books). It's unlikely that in a forum reply you will get a fully detailed outline of a theory or concept; so do some research and you can find articles in various sources which will go into much more depth. Now you've got some structure to your self teaching!

4) Accept that sometimes people will argue.
Yep sometimes people forget themselves and suddenly your photo has generated a mini-argument or disagreement between other members.
Don't panic!

What this means is that you've another gold-mine right in your thread! Yep you really have and you don't even have to take sides or get into the fight.

Because what you have is two strongly opposing viewpoints. So the best thing you can do is to ask for clarification from both parties. Ask them to go into more detail about their viewpoints - get them to explain things - chances are if they are already passionate about their viewpoint and facts that you will get an answer. Now you can gather together those viewpoints - gather up the facts behind them and now you've got some information from which you can make your choice.

5) Always ask for clarification on something you don't understand.
Yep sometimes people will say things that are just going right over your head; that's not a problem not in the least. Simply take a moment to ask them to clarify - or elaborate upon their point more so. It helps to also ask if they could provide a reference or link to further information on their viewpoint (if its based upon a theory).

6) Remember that you don't have to agree with everyone.
You are your own person and its up to you to make your own choices in things. However even if you don't agree, remember the first point and remain polite. If you must reject an opinion or feedback do so in a polite manner. If there are reasons why you reject it then state them honestly and openly. Best result is that you might generate some discussion which could further your learning.

7) Learn that debate and disagreement need not nor should ever be a fight.
Keep personal comments out of things, even if the other side slings the first insult. Ack professional and stick to the facts and the reasoning. You're here to learn not get drawn into petty arguments so be the leader in your thread and stick to the facts.

But wait wait a sec overread I haven't got any replies yet and I did everything you've suggested too! Do people hate me?

Nope chances are they don't but there are a few tricks that can help matters;

1) Weekends - if you post on a weekend things are slower; people are off doing other things and forum activity dwindles. A bit tip if you want feedback is to not post on weekends - post on weekdays.

2) Wrong time - each site has peek periods where its more active; you can get a rough idea just being around and seeing when the site is most active and when its most dead. So time your threads to match that. That way you've got the most chance of people seeing and responding.

3) Bump the post - if tis been a few days or the post has fallen onto page two of the subsection its in then give it a bump. So long as you're not abusing it mods won't bite you (really we won't - promise). But don't just say "bump". Be specific - ask if there is something wrong or something right - ask again if any have any feed back, no matter how small.

So after all that it sounds like there's a fair bit of work in things; but there isn't. Not really.

Most of it is remaining polite - being respectful and also asking questions. You can also debate and discuss things and when you're learning and talking to other photographers you'll find it a joy to get a little deeper into the subject. Even some of the more dry maths and physics is information you can stash away which might come in handy or at least help you better understand what is going on and why.

So good luck in getting critique and enjoy your talks on the site :)

Very good, however, regarding point 6: Very often people cannot bear to have their critique rejected and take this as a personal insult. Either they don't come back to your threads anymore, or they accuse you of being unable to handle criticism, or they put you on their ignore list, or all three.

Perhaps some guidelines are needed for those offering the critique.

Very good, however, regarding point 6: Very often people cannot bear to have their critique rejected and take this as a personal insult. Either they don't come back to your threads anymore, or they accuse you of being unable to handle criticism, or they put you on their ignore list, or all three.

Why would that require guidelines? Sometimes critiques are dead wrong. Some thick skin helps.

Why would that require guidelines? Sometimes critiques are dead wrong. Some thick skin helps.

So that when, for instance, those who've given critique have it rejected by the OP they don't start throwing their toys out of the pram. If the OP is expected to accept critique with good grace, equally those who have offered it should accept that it might not be agreed with.

So that when, for instance, those who've given critique have it rejected by the OP they don't start throwing their toys out of the pram. If the OP is expected to accept critique with good grace, equally those who have offered it should accept that it might not be agreed with.

Ummmm, that's what thick skin means? I don't need a regulation to tell me I disagree with someone.

Over :icon_thumleft:

I actually like to critique. Sometimes, when I don't have the time needed, I give short critiques/opinions whatever. I focus on what needs more work on a picture probably more than I say nice things. I'm trying to change that.

anyway.... some time ago I said this
I'm not liking the way you composed both of the shots. be careful of distortion with lines also
sorry

It was my opinion on one of your pictures. Others liked them, I didn't. Others put more time to write you something, I didn't. I have all rights not to like your pictures, right? Simple as that, it's just my opinion... and yet, you found yourself offended somehow and hit "disagree" button - You didn't explain me why did you disagree with me.
So, point taken, I won't say a thing in your threads, there are plenty of those who will c&c your pictures.

There are so many people who c&c my pictures, said good and bad, and I'm very grateful to them because they took their time and spent it on my picture.

I agree with E.

Last edited:

I totally agree with this. I tried to remain polite in a recent thread I started where most did not like the photo I posted and when I stated art was subjective and tried to explain my reasons for not agreeing with them, I was told "if you don't want critique don't ask for it then" as well as one member saying I slighted them because I gave a rather bland response to them in trying to remain polite. Another member, who admitted they had never shot the style of photo I had posted, continued to come back time and time again to repeat how bad they thought the image was and to instruct me on how I should have taken it. So as the old saying goes " What's good for the goose is good for the gander" if the OP disagrees with the comments they receive, than the respondents should agree to disagree and move on just as politely!

you forgot: don't blame artist license for your mistakes/flaws

I actually like to critique. Sometimes because I don't have time I give short critiques-opinions whatever. I focus on what's need more work on a picture probably more than I'll say nice things. I'm trying to change that.

I'm not liking the way you composed both of the shots. be careful of distortion with lines also
sorry

It was my opinion on one of your pictures. Others liked them, I didn't. Others put more time to write you something, I didn't. I have all rights not to like your pictures, right? Simple as that, it's just my opinion... and yet, you found yourself offended somehow and hit "disagree" button- You didn't explain me why did you disagree with me.
So, point taken, I won't say a thing in your threads, there are plenty of those who will c&c you.

There are so many people who c&c my pictures, said good and bad, and I'm very grateful to them because they took their time and spent it on my picture.

I agree with E.

Let's put this in context.

Take the other thread you commented on at around the same time - you remember, the one entitled Vent.
Not a very useful comment from you then since you didn't elaborate why you saw nothing in the shot. Also, ending the comment with "sorry" was unnecessary. Why sorry? Perhaps that was why I used the disagree button without saying anything else. If you don't say why you don't like something, it comes across as if you simply want to run somebody's work down - especially if you never leave any positive feedback where it might, just might have been earned.

I am only human, and I apologise for the disagree. I will remove it (I had wanted to anyway).

I hope you will comment again in future.

Anyone who follows my work on TPF will know that I am certainly open to advice and suggestions and that I take this on board where I think it can help me improve. They also know that I will return to sender on occasion. No need to get upset about that - I don't hold grudges.

Anyway back to an important point I wish to make here. It seems to be true that unless you are prepared to accept all and any comments on your work, however unfounded or wrong you might feel them to be, you run the risk of being sent to Coventry.

It is difficult to find a way to answer or deal with critique you don't agree with without coming over as overly defensive or offended. All you can say is thank you and move on.

However, people care about the photos they make and sometimes doing that is difficult. Therefore it should be clear to the people offering critique that they cannot comment with impunity, that they should always be prepared to back up what they say with valid points, and be prepared to have their thoughts rejected occasionally.

Merry Christmas, all. We celebrate this evening here, so I have to get ready to drive to the Grandparents now and this will be my last post today.

I actually like to critique. Sometimes because I don't have time I give short critiques-opinions whatever. I focus on what's need more work on a picture probably more than I'll say nice things. I'm trying to change that.

sorry

It was my opinion on one of your pictures. Others liked them, I didn't. Others put more time to write you something, I didn't. I have all rights not to like your pictures, right? Simple as that, it's just my opinion... and yet, you found yourself offended somehow and hit "disagree" button- You didn't explain me why did you disagree with me.
So, point taken, I won't say a thing in your threads, there are plenty of those who will c&c you.

I agree with E.

Let's put this in context.

Take the other thread you commented on at around the same time - you remember, the one entitled Vent.
Not a very useful comment from you then since you didn't elaborate why you saw nothing in the shot. Also, ending the comment with "sorry" was unnecessary. Why sorry? Perhaps that was why I used the disagree button without saying anything else. If you don't say why you don't like something, it comes across as if you simply want to run somebody's work down - especially if you never leave any positive feedback where it might, just might have been earned.

I am only human, and I apologise for the disagree. I will remove it (I had wanted to anyway).

I hope you will comment again in future.

Anyone who follows my work on TPF will know that I am certainly open to advice and suggestions and that I take this on board where I think it can help me improve. They also know that I will return to sender on occasion. No need to get upset about that - I don't hold grudges.

Anyway back to an important point I wish to make here. It seems to be true that unless you are prepared to accept all and any comments on your work, however unfounded or wrong you might feel them to be, you run the risk of being sent to Coventry.

It is difficult to find a way to answer or deal with critique you don't agree with without coming over as overly defensive or offended. All you can say is thank you and move on.

However, people care about the photos they make and sometimes doing that is difficult. Therefore it should be clear to the people offering critique that they cannot comment with impunity, that they should always be prepared to back up what they say with valid points, and be prepared to have their thoughts rejected occasionally.

Merry Christmas, all. We celebrate this evening here, so I have to get ready to drive to the Grandparents now and this will be my last post today.
Hey, I really don't have your disagree anymore!!!

Me happy!

images

and I'll try to elaborate when c&c

oh... and a thing more...

I simply don't understand the concept of being offended/hurt/attacked and similar when someone says something bad about someone elses photography.
In my case, I'm not emotionally attached to my photographs.
Bad things are the reasons for improving.
Similar is when someone simply don't like my picture, nothing bad but just don't like it. It's ok!

I really can't remember if I took emotionally anything that has been said before about my pictures (except when it's about good things of course :))

Thick skin.
We all like different things.

I think it's a pride thing. While I don't think I've ever been disrespectful regarding feedback I received, occasionally I used to think "What are you talking about??!!" Funny thing is now I'll look at those same photos and say "Ohhh...That's what they were talking about". I may not have wanted to hear what was being said, but it was heard none the less

Last edited:
I simply don't understand the concept of being offended/hurt/attacked and similar when someone says something bad about someone .

I think it's a pride thing. While I don't think I've ever been disrespectful regarding feedback I received, occasionally I used to think "What are you talking about??!!" Funny thing is now I'll look at those same photos and say "Ohhh...That's what they were talking about". I may not have wanted to hear what was been said, but it was heard none the less
Rick, can you please fix the quote. You quoted a part of my sentence, not the whole sentence. I would probably never say the sentence that is in your quote .

PLS :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back