how to expose with hot shoe flash?

jands

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I noticed that whether I use TLL or Manual on the external (attached to the hot shoe), the camera's light meter doesn't compensate for the light that will output by the flash. My guess is that this is normal? How do you know what to set your camera (Manual) when trying to expose the shot? Does this just come from experience?

Edit: Probably should have done a little bit more homework before posting. I just realized that it doesn't meter with the onboard flash either.

Last edited:
The in-camera meter can only measure reflected light. There are 2 other kinds of light: incident, and strobed (flash).

To measure strobed light (flash) you need a meter that is capable of measuring strobed light. The strobed light measurement needs to be taken right next to where the strobed light is being used, be it the subject or a backdrop.
So most flash and incident meters are hand-held. Many hand-held meters can measure all 3 kinds of light: incident, reflected, and strobed.

Thanks for the info.

..... How do you know what to set your camera (Manual) when trying to expose the shot? Does this just come from experience?
There's a saying.... meter for the ambient and flash for the subject. So without a hand held meter, you've really answered your own question. It takes time looking at the light in the scene, how the existing ambient light hits it and what your vision for the subject is. The best advice is to get a couple sets of rechargables and start documenting your results at different settings. Get yourself an inanimate subject and run a series of tests. Run through the apertures, shutter speeds, flash settings, flash direction, etc Before too long you'll have at least some inkling of an idea of where your starting point should be.

The in-camera meter can only measure reflected light. There are 2 other kinds of light: incident, and strobed (flash).

To measure strobed light (flash) you need a meter that is capable of measuring strobed light. The strobed light measurement needs to be taken right next to where the strobed light is being used, be it the subject or a backdrop.
So most flash and incident meters are hand-held. Many hand-held meters can measure all 3 kinds of light: incident, reflected, and strobed.
So what's the point of having a flash and using TTL if the camera don't measure the light from it? I have the same problem, when using TTL i still have to manually adjust it. For some reason the camera will compensate for the flash if it's through my pop-up flash so i'm a bit confused...

Here is what I usually do. (I use non-ttl flash)
- Set my camera and flash to M mode.
- Dial the aperture / shutter speed I prefer for that environment.
- Then adjust the power output of the flash.
- Fire.
- Review the camera screen
- Adjust the camera/flash settings then fire again.

In the beginning, it may take few more shots to get a correctly exposed image, but after I did that for few times, the first settings is usually pretty close especially for indoor shots.

The main thing is you need to understand how to lower or increase 1 stop of light (or 1/2) by changing the flash power or, aperture or ISO or combination of them.

Of course, there are other ways to do it.
Although I have not try that yet. It is based on Guide number.

Strobist: Guide Number: Your Free Flash Meter

TTL will automatically adjust your setting based on a pre-flash that is fired just before the final flash.
So it will meter the shot, send a pre-flash, meter the light that is reflected, adjust for that metering and then send the final flash.
And all that in the blink of an eye.

TTL will automatically adjust your setting based on a pre-flash that is fired just before the final flash.
So it will meter the shot, send a pre-flash, meter the light that is reflected, adjust for that metering and then send the final flash.
And all that in the blink of an eye.

I shoot in AV mode and i still have to set my flash manually. TTL mode just don't do the job...

When you meter in TTL mode it gives you the correct exposure for the background while the power of the flash is set off your focal length and aperture (and distance to the subject).

Sent from my HTC Glacier

Last edited:
When you meter in TTL mode it gives you the correct exposure for the background while the power of the flash is set off your focal length and aperture (and distance to the subject).

Sent from my HTC Glacier
Even if i use spot metering?

Most reactions

Back