How to get pitch-black background?

Thanks Brianeack and jwbryson1! :)

Hi Keith,
"Even a white background can be made to look deep black using the right exposure and flash adjustments" - Can you pl. share the settings for that trick? Thanks.

Don't let any light hit the white background.
And use a fast shutter speed (high speed flash sync)

And use a fast shutter speed (high speed flash sync)

Exactly. Ambient exposure is controlled by shutter speed, but shutter speed has very little effect on flash exposure because the flash fires so quickly (e.g., 1/4000 or faster). So if you push up your shutter speed to a high speed flash sync (something faster than around 1/200 of a second, give or take depending on your camera), you can make a white background that is lit solely by ambient light fade to pitch black. Then, just be sure to place your flash units and subject far enough way from the background so that when the flash fires it does not illuminate the backdrop. 10 feet or more is usually good. Experiment with it.

First I launch my victims, err, subjects, in to space. Then I photograph them against the night sky. Then I use a healing brush to get rid of all the stars.

First I launch my victims, err, subjects, in to space. Then I photograph them against the night sky. Then I use a healing brush to get rid of all the stars.

This works well too, but it's just a bit more on the expensive side. Probably more fun though...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back