How to get such popping colours!

andytakeone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Colour Grading

Color Grading originating in video (I think) and the techniques are being used in stills now.
here's an article about it ==> How to Apply Cinematic Color Grading to Your Still Images | Fstoppers

I have no idea how to do this in film if this is the original question though.

You can learn in post processing to bring out colors and luminosity, adding contrast, blacks etc too either individually or in the curves section of LightRoom/Photoshop.

I'm by no means an expert at it .. just know a little to be dangerous. But I'm always using these techniques in part.

Dunno about color grading, looks to me the photog used a fill-in light source, (flash, reflector et al), a touch of saturation, a bump to the contrast and a hot model.

The fill-in light is probably the most significant photo technique used and most likely produced the popping effect you seek.

Last edited:
Dunno about color grading, looks to me the photog used a fill-in flash, a touch of saturation, a bump to the contrast and a hot model.

The fill-in flash is probably the most significant photo technique used and most likely produced the popping effect you seek.

I would agree with this^^^ I have played around with it and not a hard thing to achieve. I am just not a real fan over doing things in post like this because it makes it look suspect on some level, guess I am more traditional when it comes to people photo's. It reminds me of selective color, hdr, etc. IMO, you don't have to do things in post in order to create a distinctive style to your photo's. I think at the end of the day, the style is created in the head, then in the camera, and probably separates the men from the boys.

Yep. Use flash.
When we use flash we can control 2 exposures with a single shutter release.
The flash exposure is controlled with the lens aperture and the flash unit power setting.
The ambient light exposure is controlled with the shutter speed.
The ISO setting affects both the flash and ambient light.

When a lighting ratio is used such that the ambient light exposure is darker than the subject exposure, and control the depth of field so the background is out of focus (OOF), we get 'pop' in 2 ways - the lighting ratio and a sharp subject against a OOF background.
Note too that under exposing the ambient light tends to add saturation to colors.

Using flash is something most amateur photographers don't do as often as they should if what they want to do is make high quality people photographs.

It's a good idea to use a hand held light meter.
With a hand held meter we measure the ambient light falling on the subject and background so you can determine the right flash settings. We can check our flash settings using the hand held meters flash measuring function.
DSLR cameras can only meter reflected light. They cannot measure incident light or flash.

the images are highly postertized

Curves! The most powerful and most mis-understood tool in any digital manipulator's toolbox.

oh i see, i added the extra t.

Most reactions

Back