How to Get This Effect?

astrostu

I shoot for the stars
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Unfortunately, I don't have an example of it nor do I know what it's called. :(

A few months ago, someone posted some sample photos where the image was heavily manipulated. It looked as though, for example, the photograph was sitting, curved, on a neutral background, while one of the main objects in it was popping up out of the photo. Like a kid kicking a soccer ball, or a wave popping up out of the picture.

Someone posted tutorials and other examples, but unfortunately, I lost that link as well as the thread and have no clue where to find 'em again. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Using an emboss layer blending mode selectively on the subject, perhaps?

It wasn't an embossing effect ... it was like the subject was selectively cut out of the image, the rest of the image was transformed to be squashed down, and then the whole thing was put on a neutral-color canvas while a white border was put around the original image to make it look like a polaroid.

I know the thread you're looking for...but I don't have it bookmarked.

I know the thread you're looking for...but I don't have it bookmarked.

Well, do you have any idea what it's called, possibly? Or a better way to describe it so others may be able to figure it out? :)

LOL, ...no, sorry.

I don't think I even posted in it, so it won't be in my subscribed threads - I just remember reading it.

...I don't remember it well enough to come up with better search terms to find it.

I just did a search of what I thought would bring it up.

THIS thread was the only result.

Your description of the pictures is very familiar though - I know I have seen those pictures before.

And here's my first go at it with a simple pic I had on my computer.

Butterfly_Popup.jpg

I know it as Out Of Bounds or Out Of Border.

The gold standard tutorial is by Dave Cross but as far as I know it's only available to NAPP (National Asociation of Photoshop Professionals) members.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back