How to get this effect

T.E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there!!

I'm new to this forum and I hope one of you guys can help me.

For a long time I tried to achieve this effect with the sun but it never really worked out. Maybe one of you can help
me and give me some tips on how I can achieve that effect.I really want to make pictures like this at my next session I would really appreciate it if someone helps me. :)

Greetings :)

Last edited:
It can be done in post.

BTW, it's against forum rules to post images that aren't yours.

just take the photos down but use a link instead so people like myself will be able to see what youare referring to.

Yep, posting a link to photos that aren't yours is OK. The only trouble is, if you have a low post count people may be reluctant to click on an unsolicited link as a way to avoid unwittingly getting a virus or other malware.

Plus, it gets embarassing when you get called out in the forum by the copyright owner, if you post a photo without their permission.

since the original question was never answered but all these people chimed in, honest mistake, fixed now... how about someone help us out with useful advice on specifically how to acheive what the op is looking to do. I'd be very interested to know as well.

since the original question was never answered but all these people chimed in, honest mistake, fixed now... how about someone help us out with useful advice on specifically how to acheive what the op is looking to do. I'd be very interested to know as well.

Since the images were pulled and there is no link, I have no idea what effect is being referred to. Can someone post links to images?

not sure what software your using, but try this link..

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll need another light source and something to soften it first.

Depending on the angle you shoot at, you can get the subject to soften the direct sunlight enough. Thats how I shot this. I didnt get any flare which some people like but its similar to those. Use a little bit slower shutter to make sure the subject is exposed and the background is overexposed a bit. Then use PP to even it out a bit.
7199185246_5620bc3fdc.jpg

This one has a huge flare that I liked.
6043800313_80226d4704.jpg

Thank you for your answers..
I tried it the other day and these are the results. I didn't have had time yet to edit them all.

$DSC_0165_k.jpg $DSC_0049_1_k.jpg$DSC_0034_k.jpg $DSC_0083_k.jpg

I def. will it try to take some like these again. I just hope the sun will shine soon again :p

I would say skip the flash and shoot at a lower shutter speed. If you have to use a flash get some gels to warm the light. Its too contrasty, with the warm sun tones and the cool light from the flash. This is just my opinion. The two examples you posted did not look to use any fill light at all. If they did it was minimal and was close to 3200K

Your shots are getting close. You at least are going out at the right time of day. Adding a some fill light either during the shot or in post would probably do the trick. A nicer portrait lens wouldnt hurt either.

Most reactions

Back