How to increase stability of weakest link in camera/plate/head/tripod ?

erotavlas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I noticed that when my camera is connected to my ball head, I can still jiggle it a little with my hand. I mean it takes some force, certainly more than you would be placed on it by a breeze or light wind. True the surface area that touched the plate is small (i have a Sony Nex 5N with the weird shaped tripod mount) However I also have tried this with a camera with normal flat tripod mount, Mamiya 6 and its never fully as rock solid as I expected. When I try the same but with the ball head, it is rock solid. Now what is the point of having a rock solid tripod legs and ball head if the weakest link (the camera tripod mount that attached to the plate) is not nearly as stable? And is there a way to improve the situation? And does it even matter. I worry about this for really windy conditions mostly.

Normally, you should be able to tighten the plate to the camera very tightly. If there is any 'play', its usually at the plate to clamp connection or with the head itself.

Is it possible that the stud is bottoming out in the camera's threads?

If you can't tighten the plate to the camera any more, then you just need to pad that space. I'd suggest a rubber washer or some sort of automotive gasket material.

Or is it just that the threaded connection from plate to camera is not solid? (I'd guess it would be a poorly machined camera socket.)

In this case, you might try putting some Teflon tape around the threads before screwing it to the camera.

By using a QR plate you are adding another piece that can have some "give" in it, so unless you really need QR, go with a plain ball head that screws directly into the bottom of the camera.

Now what is the point of having a rock solid tripod legs and ball head if the weakest link (the camera tripod mount that attached to the plate) is not nearly as stable?

This isn't logical. Most QR plates I've seen clamp in firmly using a cam lever. They are usually held in on four sides, AFAIK. Sounds like there is something wrong with your QR head.

Have a machinist look it over.

It doesn't sound like the plate in the clamp is the problem. It sounds like the plate doesn't screw firmly to the bottom of the camera.

It doesn't sound like the plate in the clamp is the problem. It sounds like the plate doesn't screw firmly to the bottom of the camera.

Oh, if that is the problem, perhaps he'd better have a machinist look it over. Perhaps the mounting screw is too long, and bottoming out in the camera fitting. Anyway, that's why God made machinists.

As I mentioned above, a simple washer or gasket would probably solve the problem. No need to take a lathe to the camera. ;)

Nah, cutting torch is more my speed.

Actually, what I was getting at is that the OP can't diagnose the problem, so he needs expert help.

If the screw is too long, it can be shortened. Anyway, I would hate to have to constantly remind myself to place a shim of some kind every time I wanted to mount the camera.

Actually, what I was getting at is that the OP can't diagnose the problem, so he needs expert help.
Put a dab of red paint on the mounting screw, screw it into the camera then remove. Look and see if there is red paint at the bottom of the tripod socket in the camera. If there is the bolt is slightly too long. Grind a bit off of it or, as Big Mike recommended, get a piece of gasket material to shim the connection.

Anyway I took the QR screw out of the plate and screwed it in as far as it would go into the bottom of the camera tripod mount. I marked with a red marker all around the screw at the point where it comes out. Then I put it back into the QR plate. What I saw was that it is not possible for the screw of the QR plate to ever be too long. There would physically be no way for there to be excess amount of screw that the QR plate would require a washer. The red mark I drew is always below the top of the QR plate.

Honestly, I don't know. I tried both my Sony NEX 5N, and my Mamiya 6. The Sony NEX does have a weird shaped mounting. It has less surface area too. But even thought the Mamiya has a more normal flat surface and more area, I can still twist the camera and jiggle it. I suppose the Mamiya 6 isn't that great either as the bottom has little friction and is very smooth. I suppose this should be normal if you apply enough force you should be able to move it. However its not what I expected. What are other cameras like?

Can you take a photo to show the issue?

Instead of cutting or machining anything away, try adding spacers(thin plastic or sheet metal, remember to pad it with masking tape or something to avoid scratches to your camera) between the QR plate and the camera base. It's a cheaper and reversible solution.

Rubber washer, all the way.

A rubber washer will not only add some space to definitely solve a too-long-screw issue (if that is the issue), but more importantly, it will add a spring force pushing out on the plate from the tripod mount. This makes it extremely less likely for a screw to wobble itself out.

Rubber washers are basically like a non-marring, non-permanent version of thread locking paste. I use these on all of my camera tripod etc. mounts if I can possibly get away with it.

Most camera plates have some sort of rubber surface on top of them...but it's certainly possible for that rubber to wear out or to come off. If it wasn't there, then I'd imagine it could cause an issue. Hence the flat rubber washer.

I'm also wondering how much torque you're applying to the screw....maybe not enough.

Since this is happening on more than one camera, maybe the problem is just with the plate/screw. Have you tried another plate?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back