How to look and act like a real photographer (?)

How to look like a photographer - take photographs.

I was thinking of periodically holding up my fingers in a joined "L" shape and looking at them with one eye shut -- which I think either helps frame the shot or wards off evil spirits.

:D :thumbyo:

I really did want to know if walking around with camera on monopod would be weird.

Yes it's weird. Most people dont carry around cameras on poles (that is, before the selfie stick fad). But so what? Most people aren't photographers.

I might see less sixty year old photographers doing that than twenty-five year old ones. But there are exceptions to everything. With some photography (eg nature, wildlife) it's quite typically part of the process.

Generally, as photographers get older (perhaps more accomplished) they prefer to carry less gear. But do what you need to do.

I really did want to know if walking around with camera on monopod would be weird.

Yes it's weird. Most people dont carry around cameras on poles (that is, before the selfie stick fad). But so what? Most people aren't photographers.

I might see less sixty year old photographers doing that than twenty-five year old ones. But there are exceptions to everything. With some photography (eg nature, wildlife) it's quite typically part of the process.

Generally, as photographers get older (perhaps more accomplished) they prefer to carry less gear. But do what you need to do.
That's because we 60+-year-olds grew up carrying a 20 pound cast iron lunch boxes to school 5 miles through the snow uphill both ways in the dark. None of this namby-pamby plastic lightweight stuff in our lap while mommy drove us to school 2 blocks away on a sunshiny 75 degree day.:dob:

Last edited:
Ever notice everyone second guesses themselves here? Their gear, is it good enough? what do others have? Their photos, are they good enough? What are others photos? Should i make photos like their photos? Can i make better photos or like photos? Someone got a new lens should i get that too then? Now we are down to how to dress and act.
what the hell is a "real" photographer? Surely it can be people that worry about such things. How many blogs they read, articles they read, photographers they idolize and try to mimic.

Kinda scary if you think about it how many here are on meds for low self esteem?

Ever notice everyone second guesses themselves here? Their gear, is it good enough? what do others have? Their photos, are they good enough? What are others photos? Should i make photos like their photos? Can i make better photos or like photos? Someone got a new lens should i get that too then? Now we are down to how to dress and act.
what the hell is a "real" photographer? Surely it can be people that worry about such things. How many blogs they read, articles they read, photographers they idolize and try to mimic.

Kinda scary if you think about it how many here are on meds for low self esteem?
I don't think you got the joke.

Well, I went to the auto show today. Sony a6000 with Zeiss 32/1.8 prime lens, stopped to 5.6 and ISO forced to 320 or 400. Trusty monopod, newsboy hat, bandanna, skinny jeans and Clarks Wallabee shoes (I wanted to cover all my bases)

Here are three examples from my "orange period".

Jaguar.jpg Nissan-GT-R.jpg Porsche-Boxster.jpg

I guess I'm happy with how these came out but I found the lens to be WAY too long - I had to be 20' from the car which was really difficult with the crowds. Any admonishment/advice/criticism is appreciated.

I wonder if I go to a 24mm prime lens if it would make enough of a difference?

Confidence comes with practice. If you are doing something long enough it become your second nature and you wont' care about appearances.

Well, I went to the auto show today. Sony a6000 with Zeiss 32/1.8 prime lens, stopped to 5.6 and ISO forced to 320 or 400. Trusty monopod, newsboy hat, bandanna, skinny jeans and Clarks Wallabee shoes (I wanted to cover all my bases)

your biggest mistake was going to a car show for a photoshoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back