How to make images print clear

Aknight0053

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I take a photo and go to print it the system says it has poor resolution especially when requesting for a large print size. Why is this? Is it because The image has a filter on it. I took image with cannon DSLR it views clear on media but not on prints please help.

Somewhere in your handling you have reduced the size of the image.

You need to read your camera manual because you don't have the basic knowledge yet to handle the camera.

Is it because The image has a filter on it.
I shouldn't think adding a filter to a digital image would have any effect (other than to make it look different). Most digital editing has no effect on the size or resolution of an image. Right-click on the thumbnail and select "get info". The size of the image will be in pixels x pixels. If it's a small image, you can't make the printer make a large print out of it (at normal print resolution).

Also; check the settings in your camera. You probably want "large" for the file size. Furthermore, an electronic display (LCD or computer) will still make it look good, even if it's small.

When printing, you typically want a resolution of 300 pixels per inch... or higher. But it really depends on the distance at which it will be viewed.

Most cameras have fairly high resolutions these days and can handle most typical sizes... unless you're trying to print something very large. How large is your desired print size?

Also... what is the resolution of the image that you want to print?

More data is needed to determine the problem. Perhaps upload a copy of the photo and then also say where you're trying to print? Local printer or printing service, etc.

If you've reduced the pixel count of the image, or are shooting with a low pixel count to begin with, then there simply aren't enough pixels to make a large version of the image. My dad used to reduce his pictures to 1024x768 so they'd exactly fit his PC screen, and then complain how bad they looked when he tried to print them. A thousand pixels won't make a usable 8x10.

If your camera has a "size" or "resolution" setting, use the largest if printing is your goal.

You need to read your camera manual because you don't have the basic knowledge yet to handle the camera.

Can you please explain what you mean. I've read the manual 50times it was very brief and dosent give any help at all on how to actually set things.

Can you please explain what you mean. I've read the manual 50times it was very brief and dosent give any help at all on how to actually set things.

If you know the size of the paper you're printing on (width and height, in inches) you want the image file on your computer to be 300 times those numbers in each dimension. So if your photo paper is 7x5 inch, you want an image 2100 pixels wide x 1500 tall, if the image is 'landscape' (horizontal orientation). If you want to print 'portrait' instead, you want 1500 wide by 2100 tall (5x7").

Without more information everyone is pretty much guessing what your problem is. The reason I shoot is to make nice prints so I start with and maintain the most resolution I can afford. Prints are also a lot less forgiving than electronic displays. Any camera shake, motion blur, or depth of field issues will show themselves in print.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Black 12.2MP DSLR Camera, EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6. Is what I have and am using. All my images taken with L which means large with eg. 4176x2523. I've currently switched to taking images in RAW I haven't printed any yet that way to see if that has improved or fixed the problem. If I download the images to my desktop then transfer to Cd, iPad, or flash drive does that cause it to lose a deristatic amount of quality. Tried to print 16x20 or even few inches bigger than that.

I think the best thing would be post the photo that you couldn't print big enough to here and then people would be able to analyse the issue.

Shooting in RAW retains certain extra data and should allow for better prints, though it will also make using the software a little more complicated. But it's worth it if only for the white balance correction!

Thats a big print. Looking at the pixel dimensions in order to get 300ppi (which is the kind of normal pixel density for printing) you'd need to reduce the size to 14×8 to get 300ppi. If you want a print at 16x20 @ 300ppi you'd need pixel dimensions of 4800x6000.

Of course viewing distance comes into it as well, so if your image is going to be viewed up close then you'll want a higher resolution that you'd need if it's to be viewed far away, so depending on that you might be able to get away with a lower resolution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back