How to make images print clear

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Aknight0053, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    When I take a photo and go to print it the system says it has poor resolution especially when requesting for a large print size. Why is this? Is it because The image has a filter on it. I took image with cannon DSLR it views clear on media but not on prints please help.

2. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Somewhere in your handling you have reduced the size of the image.

You need to read your camera manual because you don't have the basic knowledge yet to handle the camera.

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I shouldn't think adding a filter to a digital image would have any effect (other than to make it look different). Most digital editing has no effect on the size or resolution of an image. Right-click on the thumbnail and select "get info". The size of the image will be in pixels x pixels. If it's a small image, you can't make the printer make a large print out of it (at normal print resolution).

4. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Also; check the settings in your camera. You probably want "large" for the file size. Furthermore, an electronic display (LCD or computer) will still make it look good, even if it's small.

5. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    When printing, you typically want a resolution of 300 pixels per inch... or higher. But it really depends on the distance at which it will be viewed.

Most cameras have fairly high resolutions these days and can handle most typical sizes... unless you're trying to print something very large. How large is your desired print size?

Also... what is the resolution of the image that you want to print?

6. dennybeall

dennybeall No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    More data is needed to determine the problem. Perhaps upload a copy of the photo and then also say where you're trying to print? Local printer or printing service, etc.

7. wfooshee

wfooshee No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you've reduced the pixel count of the image, or are shooting with a low pixel count to begin with, then there simply aren't enough pixels to make a large version of the image. My dad used to reduce his pictures to 1024x768 so they'd exactly fit his PC screen, and then complain how bad they looked when he tried to print them. A thousand pixels won't make a usable 8x10.

If your camera has a "size" or "resolution" setting, use the largest if printing is your goal.

8. Aknight0053

Aknight0053 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Can you please explain what you mean. I've read the manual 50times it was very brief and dosent give any help at all on how to actually set things.

9. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What model camera is it?

10. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Can you explain how, using what software and what size you are trying to print it?

11. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you know the size of the paper you're printing on (width and height, in inches) you want the image file on your computer to be 300 times those numbers in each dimension. So if your photo paper is 7x5 inch, you want an image 2100 pixels wide x 1500 tall, if the image is 'landscape' (horizontal orientation). If you want to print 'portrait' instead, you want 1500 wide by 2100 tall (5x7").

12. spiralout462

spiralout462 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

Without more information everyone is pretty much guessing what your problem is. The reason I shoot is to make nice prints so I start with and maintain the most resolution I can afford. Prints are also a lot less forgiving than electronic displays. Any camera shake, motion blur, or depth of field issues will show themselves in print.