How to make this color effect

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by WolfSpring, Oct 23, 2007.

  1. WolfSpring

    WolfSpring TPF Noob!

    Oct 11, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This picture is undated in a collection of my dads stuff and was scanned some time ago. My question is how is this coloring done? Was this a specific kind of film back then, is it a "prehistoric" format that is no longer used, or is it something I can recreate by tweaking my color levels in PS?


    BTW this picture is somewhere in scotland and being my dad moved to the US around 1965, it's probably before that.

  2. Big Mike

    Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

    Dec 16, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

    Looks like it was shot on slide film...which was much more common back then.

    There are different slide films, with different properties...but slide film is known for vibrant colors. Also, slide film has less exposure latitude than negative film. In this shot, the white clouds are just about blown out...and the shadows are very dark...that is a thin latitude, which leads me further to think that this is slide film.

    Of course, it has been it's hard to tell anything for sure.

    It's actually pretty easy to emulate this in photoshop. Just crank up the saturation and increase the contrast.

Share This Page