What's new

How to make your own softbox made from recycled parts and CFL bulbs

mossyoak1101

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 16, 2010
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern IL
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a college student new to photography. Almost all of my previous photos are taken with natural light. I was wanting to start using studio lights but i can't afford them. So my next best bet was to build them. This video shows how i did it. I will post some example photos when i get some time to try it out. let me know what you think.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice; if I get a chance to do some indoor shoots I'll definitely have to try it out.
 
not bad at all, but won't those type of light bulbs give out a yellowish hue?
 
not bad at all, but won't those type of light bulbs give out a yellowish hue?
Luckily, digital cameras can adjust their White Balance setting, which can take the color cast of of lights like these.

It would be a problem, however, if you tried to use two or more different types (colors) of lights....but as long as all the light sources are consistent, the color shouldn't be a problem (especially if you shoot in RAW).
 
You can also buy cfl bulbs in a wide range of colors also. You can even buy 5500K daylight bulbs. I have thought of trying this but was unsure of the consistency of light, some florescents used to have issues with flickering- but I don't think it would be a huge issue, probably only with a really fast shutter speed.
 
but I don't think it would be a huge issue, probably only with a really fast shutter speed.
Well, I guess the 'good news' is that these things don't put out enough light for you to use fast shutter speeds...of course, the bad news is that they are a poop choice for moving subjects (like people).
 
I agree, but I think they may prove to be valuable for learning/ experimenting for cheap. As I said I may try something like this until decide what I would want for more studio type lighting- if I decide to go that route, and also have time to gather funds. Right now I am concentrating on a new (used) body and then I will start to collect better glass, then think about maybe some lighting.

I'm no portrait pro or anything, but do you really think that something like say 1/60 is too slow for still portraits. I personally haven't noticed that that is the case, but maybe you have? I would assume that is where you would want to start and would hope that in that range you would see more consistency from these lights if there is an issue. Again though, this used to be an issue and maybe the flickering isn't even an issue anymore.

You obviously won't get the light output from these that studio strobes would provide, but I think I may try this anyway. I have seen cfl's and tube florescents being used in hot light kits sold, but I doubt that they are any better than something you could fabricate yourself.
 
1/60 is OK for subjects who are sitting still. No problem for most adults but probably not going to cut it for kids.

I really don't think that the flickering will be an issue...I'm just concerned that unless you are using a bunch of these CFL bulbs together, you'll have a hard time even getting 1/60 (without resorting to really wide apertures or really high ISO).

But I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from trying something like this. Could be a great learning tool.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom