How to save from camera to an Ipod

reiver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Las week I was at Las Vegas during the De la Hoya Vs. Pacquiao fight and one of the photographers had a Canon camera and he had an ipod attached next to it, saving it's files directly frm his camera to the ipod. How can we do that???

It is a $25 adapter. Thing is that:
- its SLOW
- by the time you transfer 1-2 gig, the iPod battery is DRAINED.

I've seen someone corrupt their memory card becuase the iPod died before the transfer was finished. For the price of an ipod and the adapter, get yourself a superior solution.

Why would you want to do that?

Just keep images on memory card on camera, then offload to PC when you get home. If you need them sooner than that, move them to a laptop. If you need to send them somewhere sooner than that, wifi hotspots are plentiful when you need one.

So many people like to type on their itty-bitty keypads on their itty-bitty phones.

Forget that, my eyes are too old, and my fingers too big. Nothing they can do that I can't do as well or better on my laptop connected to wifi.

Last edited:
Also since you most likley shot the pictures on a flash memory (who uses CF micro HDDs) keep it on the flash card, your pictures are much safer on a SSD flash "drive" then a spinning HDD. Then there is the thing that Flash cards are so cheap these days that there is really no reason at filling. Also a flash card has much better transfer speeds then HDD, and suck up less power

It is a $25 adapter. Thing is that:
- its SLOW
- by the time you transfer 1-2 gig, the iPod battery is DRAINED.

I've seen someone corrupt their memory card becuase the iPod died before the transfer was finished. For the price of an ipod and the adapter, get yourself a superior solution.

The advantage of course is that an Ipod is useful for listening to music, whereas a dedicated photo drive isn't (or is marginally so).

If your primary use is backing up photos, get a photo backup solution.

If you have an Ipod for its own sake, and you would like to occasionally save photos onto it, by all means get the adapter. I used one for a couple of trips where I didn't want to bring a laptop and it was incredibly useful... but of course I had to make sure it was pretty close to fully charged, and could only transfer about 2 GB before it was drained. So you have to plan carefully. But it's definitely useful - but like I said, an Ipod is a music device first and foremost and so you really shouldn't buy one specifically for backing up photos.

It also doesn't display RAW format files, which is all I shoot... and 2 gig is not a lot of pics at 12MP.

As a music device, its fine, but as a storage medium for the photographer... there are many other better and cheaper solutions.

A neat product is the pocket PC. Basically a very small laptop...a fully functioning laptop but small enough to fit into a coat pocket. I believe that Speedtrap has an Acer that has a 100GB hard drive.

... and at under $400, cheaper than a higher end iPod, plus you can do about anything on it that you could on any other computer (albeit slower).

Most reactions

Back