How to set up "studio"

quibby84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new here and I have a question. Im setting up a little studio for this weekend for Christmas pictures. I have a white backdrop and Im showing a picture of the room. I dont know what wall to put the backdrop on. I want to try and use natural light if possible. From where Im standing to take the picture is a doorway and 2 windows into my living room (it was an add-on). And then a door to my right that goes into my bedroom (but its dark). Plus a door to the left that goes outside.
Do I roll up the blinds? Put a thin curtain up? Just use a flash?
help!
I wil be using a canon rebel 5t 50mm 1.8 lens.
tinypic.com

Here is the picture:
sqmmg9.jpg
[/IMG]
sqmmg9.jpg
[/IMG]
sqmmg9.jpg

Most houses are simply not tall enough to get the light up high. Ideally, you would have much taller windows. Since that is not happening, I'd just raise the blinds and use the window light for fill. You probably need a flash anyway, so just buy one early.

The ceiling looks white, so bounce the flash off the ceiling for overall group lighting. Since the light moves throughout the day, put your backdrop and subjects on the West wall in the morning, and the East wall in the afternoon.

Ok thanks! Im getting a flash to add to my camera, thats a great idea to point it up. I read somewhere not to mix artificial light with natural light, is that not true? And should I cover the windows at all? Im worrying about the shadow that the window might give bc of the design. If you look on the floor you will see that there are colloums between the window and it leaves a shadow. Thanks for your response!

If you see shadows across people's faces, then yes, you should do something. If you have shear drapes (or some shear yardage) use that. The shear fabric will soften the incoming light so will lessen the visible shadows.

Mixing colors of light will make editing and finding the white balance difficult. I wouldn't get too persnickety about it though because the room walls are yellow, so you're going to have issues anyway.

If you get your flash soon enough, you can try some test shots. Get someone to stand in as a model. Shoot a few shots bouncing the flash off the ceiling. I usually recommend new flash users put both the flash and camera in iTTL.

If the light is too much on top of their heads and not enough on peoples' faces, grab a large white something (piece of backdrop, large white foamcore, a large white painted panel, or whatever you can find. Place that reflector just slightly behind you and to one side and turn the flash head toward that reflector to bounce the light back toward your group. Sometimes the ceiling bounce just isn't at the right angle. If you are at the opposite side of the room, the white panel reflector can simply be propped up to the wall behind you. I think you can purchase a 4 x 8 - foot sheet of white styrofoam for just a few dollars at your local building supply store.

I'm impressed by your organizational skills. Maybe you can swing by and give the wife a lesson, she doesn't listen to me. I have really come to love not being able to open certain drawers in every room. Our house is clean, she unclutters it by sticking it in a drawer.

If you see shadows across people's faces, then yes, you should do something. If you have shear drapes (or some shear yardage) use that. The shear fabric will soften the incoming light so will lessen the visible shadows.

Mixing colors of light will make editing and finding the white balance difficult. I wouldn't get too persnickety about it though because the room walls are yellow, so you're going to have issues anyway.

If you get your flash soon enough, you can try some test shots. Get someone to stand in as a model. Shoot a few shots bouncing the flash off the ceiling. I usually recommend new flash users put both the flash and camera in iTTL.

If the light is too much on top of their heads and not enough on peoples' faces, grab a large white something (piece of backdrop, large white foamcore, a large white painted panel, or whatever you can find. Place that reflector just slightly behind you and to one side and turn the flash head toward that reflector to bounce the light back toward your group. Sometimes the ceiling bounce just isn't at the right angle. If you are at the opposite side of the room, the white panel reflector can simply be propped up to the wall behind you. I think you can purchase a 4 x 8 - foot sheet of white styrofoam for just a few dollars at your local building supply store.

Such helpful info!! Thanks!! I cant wait to try it out!

I'm impressed by your organizational skills. Maybe you can swing by and give the wife a lesson, she doesn't listen to me. I have really come to love not being able to open certain drawers in every room. Our house is clean, she unclutters it by sticking it in a drawer.

This is our school room and the only reason we can use it is because we are taking off school next week. And its my "baby" I spent many a night of lost sleep trying to figure out how to organize it while still making it look homey like a classroom. Its still too junked up for my taste as is the rest of my house, but i do make more of an extra effort in this room. We also did montessori for a bit so I got tips from that too. But the rest of our house..ugh. My craft closet is crazy even WITH an organizational system! And I cant use drawers bc the kids get into that, but we have junked up drawers too.lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back