How to shoot dilapidated buildings.

MonicaBH

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
More north of south, but more south of north.
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are multiple old, run down buildings (barns, houses) in my vicinity and I have taken a profound interest in them recently.

As I am a newbie to photography, what pointers can you give me to shoot these the best way possible? Most of them are white and are in fields, as you'd expect.

What lens would be best for them? I am planning on going early(ish) in the morning or later in the afternoon... do you think that's optimal?

Thanks in advance.

I went around and did the same thing the other day. I found myself using a 28-135, but a 50mm would be suitable if the house is far enough away from the road. Is this similar to what you want to take?

tumblr_lfvjkpMp4n1qehfxwo1_1280.jpg

5D @ 28mm, 1/250 sec, f/5, ISO 100

I would go at dawn or sunset to try and capture that along with the building

HDR ( normal, not the surreal overprocessed kind ) should help. Many times old buildings have many varying nooks and crannys, textures, and over grown foliage in the vacinity as well as rust, peeling paint etc. I think HDR really helps show the variance in tones that arw typically occuring because of all of these variables. Although I am sure many times, one exposure would be just fine. I would think a 16-50mm or so would be perfect.

Early morning/later afternoon is generally regarded as the best time for out-door shooting. It's often referred to as the 'Golden hour' for the warm tone that the light has.

The way I would approach this is to scout the location(s) and see how they're situated in relation to the rising/setting sun. Note the location, direction and density of the shadows, and take some test-shots. Head home, and review the test, and then formulate your shooting plan.

Don't forget that CPOL will be invaluable for this type of work. Depending on the size of the building and your situation, you may want to take some extra lighting along too.

What lens would be best for them?

That's where your creative judgement comes into play. Just remember that wide angle focal lengths will exaggerate the distance between components in the scene and create greater diagonal angles. Longer focal lengths will more closely preserve angles and can compress objects in the scene, making them appear closer to each other than in reality.

I am planning on going early(ish) in the morning or later in the afternoon... do you think that's optimal?

With the sun lower in the sky, you will be able to select an angle of view that will better communicate texture and form.

Another thought that comes to mind is work on a tripod. That will allow you to work at the lowest ISO you camera affords and at a smaller aperture (f:11 – f:16).

Have fun!

-Pete

Often times the interiors of these buildings are more interesting than the exteriors, at least in my opinion. However, if you do go for interior/close shots don't get so hung up on your photography that you forget your safety. My folks have an extremely old barn that I'm thinking of shooting when I go home next summer, but I'll have to be very careful because it's about ready to fall down. In fact, I probably wouldn't even attempt anything if I hadn't grown up exploring its every nook and cranny.

I went around and did the same thing the other day. I found myself using a 28-135, but a 50mm would be suitable if the house is far enough away from the road. Is this similar to what you want to take?

tumblr_lfvjkpMp4n1qehfxwo1_1280.jpg

5D @ 28mm, 1/250 sec, f/5, ISO 100

Yes, I am looking for something similar to that. Sadly, I do not have a good eye for composition so what I produce will not be very exciting to look at, I surmise.

Often times the interiors of these buildings are more interesting than the exteriors, at least in my opinion. However, if you do go for interior/close shots don't get so hung up on your photography that you forget your safety. My folks have an extremely old barn that I'm thinking of shooting when I go home next summer, but I'll have to be very careful because it's about ready to fall down. In fact, I probably wouldn't even attempt anything if I hadn't grown up exploring its every nook and cranny.

I'm kind of concerned about trespassing already, since I'm going to have to be on someone's property to shoot these buildings anyway. I'd love to crawl around on the inside of them as well, but I don't want to wind up in the clink. Any suggestions on how to do this legally, other than the obvious solution of asking the property owner? But I guess that may be the only way. And rlemert, I am in your neck of the woods!

Thanks for all of your responses and help. As I stated before, I'm not much for composition (or exposure), and I've got a limited supply of stuff... but I'll do my best and post what I can once I'm done.

ETA: I know NOTHING about HDR, nor do I have appropriate editing software currently. I do very elementary editing (i.e., auto) in Picasa, iPhoto or Picnik. Keep your laughter to yourselves. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back