how to shoot/edit nice cityscapes at night?

pavelbarchuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does one shoot cities at night without overexposing highlights, like light inside buildings and not underexposing dark, non lighted areas? Also not having light streaks. I can shoot nice photos of cities, but pretty much all the lights are blown out if u zoom in on them. I've seen some really nice photos before that look perfect, but im sure theres more to it than taking one shot and a bunch of editing.

I normally shoot cityscapes at iso 100, f9 to f11, 15-30 sec exposure. If I shoot it in aperture priority, its too bright, so than I go into manual and shoot it 5 seconds less...

How do you guys shoot cityscapes? Any helpful advice?

I have a nikon d800 and use the nikon 14-24 lens and occasionally the 70-200 for night cityscapes.

How does one shoot cities at night without overexposing highlights, like light inside buildings and not underexposing dark, non lighted areas? Also not having light streaks. I can shoot nice photos of cities, but pretty much all the lights are blown out if u zoom in on them. I've seen some really nice photos before that look perfect, but im sure theres more to it than taking one shot and a bunch of editing.

I normally shoot cityscapes at iso 100, f9 to f11, 15-30 sec exposure. If I shoot it in aperture priority, its too bright, so than I go into manual and shoot it 5 seconds less...

How do you guys shoot cityscapes? Any helpful advice?

I have a nikon d800 and use the nikon 14-24 lens and occasionally the 70-200 for night cityscapes.

You got any examples you can post?

I'm not sure of your shooting distance, you could be too far away for the 14-24 lens causing shallow dof. I used a wide angle once for a cityscape and my shots seemed shallow.

Anyhow, you may could benefit from stoping down a little more...like F/14-16. The D800 has a larger sensor and shouldn't deflect as much as say my D7100 at smaller F-stops. I also think I recall someone saying it was better to shoot slightly over exposed. This protects a lot of highlights and you can always add shadowing later. I can't recall for sure. I generally shoot around F/8-11 but will move out to F/14-16 when I'm further away from the subject.

Most reactions

Back